Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

I figure that rehoming them gives them at least
a chance of survival. the ones I catch are not going
to be so lucky. I am using steel rat traps.
I have to adjust the trigger on my have a heart
box trap.
I tried keeping carrots in the garden over winter once.
I covered the patch with straw bales. during the winter
we had about two feet of snow. so I dug the snow away.
Now I had a hole two feet deep just to get to the top of
the bales. I dragged a bale out. the ground was not frozen/
but it was wet and cold. I pulled a good amount of carrots
out and put the bales back. I never dug any more that winter,,,
or ever after.
another time we put the carrots in boxes of sand in the basement.
unfortunately, unknown to us, the cat used the boxes for it's
sandbox. all of the carrots rotted.
the best solution for us was a well vented bag in the
refrigerator.

Sounds like you all have strategies for the squirrels. I just curse at them and let the crazy terrier bark them away. I am all for allowing them a chance at survival. I just wish they would quit burying walnuts everywhere.

I reluctantly turned on the furnace yesterday because I had a house guest -- but only to 62 degrees. Jim's BFF Michael has always had his own room here, and it comes equipped with an electric mattress pad and a small floor heater. I try to save as much propane as I can.

The guys who took the tinsmithing tools finally got home. It took 7 hours to make the 3-hour trip after their trailer had a blowout.

Four of us spent yesterday morning going through more of Jim's things in storage, trying to condense everything into a single unit. We made progress, but everyone will be back next month to try again.

Sorting through his stuff was terribly emotional for me. I shed some tears, but on the plus side, I now have a router, a variable temp heat gun and will pick up the mini-lath and its tool set later. Clearly, I will need to learn some new skills. But, with free tools, why not?

My sister says she believes in "signs" but that I don't. She may be wrong. We used to sell all kinds of goods to other historic re-enactors, but much of that stuff is already gone.

In the very last box I was planning to go through, I moved one of Jim's old business cards. Underneath, in sealed plastic, were a pair of earrings EXACTLY like the ones I couldn't find this summer.

After everyone left, I watched baseball all afternoon and evening; only one of my teams made it through.

I don't want to be the one left behind.
I think Annie would handle being alone better than I.
And besides, she has more junk to go through..
The Packers lost. big surprise..
I went outside and selected a board to
make my chain saw vice out of. while I
was out there a guy showed up and bought
that large water tote that DD gave to me
a few years ago.
It is a gorgeous day out today.
I had fresh raspberry pie for breakfast.
DD Barby has late summer bearing raspberries.

not warming up real fast today.
we are leaving in a few minutes to get
our fifth covid booster. so far neither of
us has had any symptoms despite being
exposed a few times.
the junk man is not answering his phone
today. probably still fixing his truck and does
not want to be disturbed.?

I wonder if we all won't be getting COVID boosters for-ever. I finally gave in and got a flu shot this year, too, first ever.

Looks like good weather is about to end; 60s today and tomorrow, then it cools off. Yesterday, several of the perennials that had been potted and on the deck went into their permanent homes in the ground. Most of the veg garden is cleaned out.

Many of my chickens don't seem ready for cold weather yet. Lots of molting going on. The funniest-looking is Gabby -- a red frizzle Cochin Bantam. Poor girl's head is covering in pin feathers, making her look much less adorable than usual.

The under-deck board project has me baffled. I may just leave the woven wire fence in place (to keep chickens from escaping into the unsafe side of the yard) until spring. Or, hope I get some kind of genius inspiration quickly. It would be easier if the steps, ramp and concrete all aligned.

Hope everyone is getting their end-of-season projects done.

We are in the 80s today, I can't believe it. Then we are headed to upper 50s and then 40s for the rest of the week.

I got my 4th Covid booster and flu shot over the last month, I did not do them together. My oldest got her booster and was down for the day.

Two roosters were taken yeaterday and then the 2 hens go tomorrow to a lady and her daughter who are just starting out with a rooster and a hen and some older chicks, so that is good. My broody is still sitting, she doesn't eat much at all when off the nest so I might have to start offering her food on the side.

Wrapping up the coop today, at least most of it before the cold settles in. Got the garden boxes covered with plastic. We have a list with about 20 projects to get done before the snow flies, DH got 3 done and I helped with another yesterday.

Today I go in for a full body skin cancer screen, anyone have it done before, it is my first time. Then I have the rest of the day off and will be busting out projects.

Have a good day all!

we got our fifth booster yesterday.
the pharmasist said that they are thinking of
combining the covid booster and flu shot
in the future. I never had a flu shot. I think I
will be passing if they combine them.
I have to move the old lawn mower out of
the garage and into the lean to along with the
tiller and new lawn mower. I have to move the
chicken plucker into the lean to, also.
Annie has been mowing grass and trying to run
all of the gas out of the mower. I should put a
shut off valve on the mower. I have one on the
tiller. then I just shut the valve off and let the
motor run until it runs out of gas. it takes only
a few minutes and then the carb is empty.

When I was in town yesterday, I drove past a greenhouse and was drawn in by the 50 percent off signs. Of course, I wasn't going to buy anything, just look :lau. Okay, that's never really happened.

I was standing in front of some raspberry plants when the owner -- someone I've known forever -- came out and offered me 75 percent off if I would take all four. Sold! So, yesterday I bought Heritage Raspberries that cost me $5 each. I thought about you, Anjanet, while I was planting them.

How did the cancer screen go? Sounds stressful, but I think that about all medical stuff. Hope you got it done in time to plunge into your projects.

I am constantly learning about things I didn't know existed or didn't know how to do. A shut-off valve, Jim? I had no idea about those.

I think I will forgo the deck board idea for now. Trying to figure out the needed angles under the ramp made my head hurt. I need to do other pre-winter chores. I will just stare at the ugly wire fencing under the deck until spring. Or next summer. Who knows?

Barb, that is exciting on the raspberries, I hope they root in and do really well for you! Cancer screen went ok, had one spot removed and sent off for biopsy-hopefully it turns out to be nothing. I agree, most medical stuff is stressful-stressful as I can't stop thinking about what if...

We got 80% of our pre-winter chore list done yesterday, it was so nice out 79 degrees and breezy. Today should be in the 60s, but it rained overnight so a tad wet. 2 hens go today, so I will be down to 8 chickens and 6 hatching eggs life is good in chicken world :)

Can't believe it is almost the middle of October already-where does the time go?

Hope you all have a good day. I am making some pumpkin bars today with squash-so I guess squash bars.

Sometimes, I think the professionals don't consider how stressful things are for the rest of us. I once had an "abnormal" pap smear, and it was suggested I wait six months for another. Seriously? Half a year of not knowing? I got a second test ASAP, and all was well.

And, that stupid Cologuard test -- which even tells you in the ads that it shows false positives and false negatives, so what's the point? -- showed an abnormality. But, when I went in for the actual colonoscopy, I was fine. They didn't want to even see me for 10 more years.

Best wishes for your test results and good luck with the squash bars. Intriguing idea!

Back
Top Bottom