Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Just more than a year ago, I reached out to a then-BYC member who had just lost her house rooster. I had no idea that we would text, email and call each other -- and my sister too -- regularly for the next 12 months. Turns out the three of us have many things in common.

On Friday, Serenity and her husband traveled from near Chicago to meet Carolyn and me and hang around in northern Iowa. She had a great time making friends with my rooster and may be the only human he hasn't attacked in his entire miserable life. I tried my best to get her to take Billy Boy; she was game, but her husband (wisely, I guess), said no.

We went to a home and farm show, "toured" all the sights of Fort Dodge, went shopping at Bomgaars (they don't have any where they live), went out to eat Saturday night, and her husband helped with two of my small construction projects.

We're already talking about their next trip this summer. They left this morning, and today, I am recovering from all the excitement and activity.

More good news: Caitlyn Clark and Iowa didn't win the NCAA women's tourney, but the sun still came out this morning (although I hear it's disappearing in some places!) :D

The eclipse was lackluster with all the hype. I saw the one in the 70's as a kid, so it wasn't a once in a lifetime event as it was being peddled as. There was just enough clouds so I could occasionally look up and see the eclipse without burning out my retinas. Was hoping it would get darker out.

I planted some lettuce, peas, and radishes. The frogs were croaking last night. Sounded like around 5-10. I expect that will continue to escalate now. Gonna start some marigolds and zinnia.

I saw an eclipse back in the 60's
too cloudy to see this one.
had planned to work in the shop for awhile today. it didn't happen.
I still have time to try to figure out how to sharpen a cross cut circular saw, maybe..
still a red squirrel running around.
no name, just no.20 .

when i got home from work today I saw a hawk in the chicken run. Dang, I meant to lock them up this morning and forgot. Luckily Mr. Hawk didn't get chicken for supper. All the hens were hiding in the coop - quietly sitting on top of the nest boxes staring at the pop door. NOt making a sound. It was eerie because my chickens are never quiet, lol.
Mr. Hawk was having a hard time flying out of the run but eventually made it out. Poor chickens are locked in the coop for the next couple of days until I get something over the run to keep the hawks out.
Bonus though, I got 5 eggs today. Guess they were too busy watching for the hawk that they forgot to egg their eggs today...

How's the chili? And, did Houdini get trapped?

Congrats on the hens' safety and the eggs, @wyoDreamer! And on planting stuff, Lisa; I'm hoping to do that Friday when it's supposed to be warm, dry and less windy that usual.

Yesterday started out horribly. Ozzie Orangecat has greeted me every morning for three weeks. Only the other two cats were around when I took out the dogs in the wee hours. I called Ozzie, put on my night vision headlamp and wandered around my property, the neighbor's field, and the road and its ditches for 40 minutes, looking for Ozzie. I feared the worst because I could hear coyotes to the west.

Okay, he's not my cat. I keep telling myself that, but I was crying buckets at the idea that I should have protected him and kept him safe. About two hours later, Ozzie calmly walked up the ramp and waited to be served his breakfast. Thank goodness, he was waiting for me this morning because I couldn't take two days like that in a row!

I'm heading back to Menards today where I am going to pick up, among other things, more plants. I hadn't seen yellow alyssum before, and I think I didn't buy enough of it.

My friends from Chicago want to come back and, now they want to bring a couple of their friends. Who knew northern Iowa was so cool to visit?

Does anyone really own cats Barb. The real question is if he owns you. Sounds like he might.

Saw yet another stray cat here last night. The big black Tom seems to be back. All mine are fixed, so he can look all he wants. That makes 3 different cats in the past month I've seen. Mine are all on alert constantly. I guess it keeps them busy.

20240410_165948.jpg

this is the cutting board I just made to fit on the sink

The cutting board is lovely!

And, Lisa, you are right. I was chosen by an orange cat. One of my most-loved-ever cats was a big orange boy, and I vowed never again to get an orange cat. I didn't plan on one "getting" me. And, bringing friends.

I am happy to report that all three cats showed up for breakfast today. Calypso, which is Greek for "conceal" or "she who hides", is still showing a LOT of pregnant tummy.

Well, I went to Menards to buy a few more of the yellow alyssum. I bought those -- and some columbines and some Jacob's ladders. I got some organic raised bed soil to top dress the veggie garden, and I would have started that project yesterday, if not for the on-again, off-again rain showers. Maybe it will all be dry this weekend when we could hit 80 degrees.

I want to start digging in the dirt!!!

Back
Top Bottom