Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
I will take lilac cuttings this afternoon. I have some rooting compound, so I will use that.
We have a volunteer Mulberry bush that is in a bad spot, so I will take cuttings from that one also and see what happens.

We are planning to fence an abandoned pasture area for free-ranging chickens and I hope to get some shrubs and other cover growing in there for them. Fruiting plants would be a plus.
Wyo, for my mini greenhouses for sprouting I used 5gal plastic pails.
I put drain hole about one inch from the bottom. filled the pail about half full of dirt. put about 20 shoots in . Set the bucket into a white 13 gal garbage bag . raised the handle and pulled the ends of the bag up and tied them to the handle to hold it upright.
keep the dirt moist .
I air rooted a mulberry.It took very well. I imagine green shoots will too.

Asparagus is UP! I have 2 spears that broke through :) Gonna be hot today and tomorrow and then back to 'seasonal' (whatever that is anymore) next week.

Rhubarb is up and going to pick some next week.

All new plants/berries planted have leaves!

Planted two more blueberries yesterday.
Now I have to go check my asparagus.
the old rhubarb patch is coming back.
year before last there was nothing. then last year some of it came up. but it got lost in the weeds. this year all four plants are up. I will keep the weeds mowed down.
these next few days should give everything a good jump start.
today I am waiting for my brother to get here. He is going to cut the dead branches off of the old apple tree for me. a job that is looooong overdue.
while he is here he will cut some branches for me to try to root.
Of course, today I woke up with a muscle pain in my upper leg. hurts when I walk.
I will push through it.

Now I have to go check my asparagus.
the old rhubarb patch is coming back.
year before last there was nothing. then last year some of it came up. but it got lost in the weeds. this year all four plants are up. I will keep the weeds mowed down.
these next few days should give everything a good jump start.
today I am waiting for my brother to get here. He is going to cut the dead branches off of the old apple tree for me. a job that is looooong overdue.
while he is here he will cut some branches for me to try to root.
Of course, today I woke up with a muscle pain in my upper leg. hurts when I walk.
I will push through it.
We got er done. One of the trunks is completely dead. We cut the lower branches off and left the main trunk for later on.
Got some green shoots off of the other trunk for rooting.
We celebrated a job well done with a couple of home brews.

Planted my canna bulbs, and direct seeded a few pots. Also planted a couple of hosta I bought.
Planted my canna bulbs, and direct seeded a few pots. Also planted a couple of hosta I bought.
ahhh yes, hostas, the deer have to eat, too. lol
Annie picked a stalk of rhubarb today. There are more. enough for a pie.
the grass is growing.

If my asparagus is up, it won't matter. I can't cut it this year, yet. It is only the first year after I planted it.
I have to drain some oil out of the lawn mower. Nephew overfilled it.
Annie wants to learn how to run it, So I will give her a crash course in lawnmowing 101. she will keep the lawn around the house mowed. My eyes are so bad I can mow only the wide open prairie . No flower beds to run over. lol

we got more done than we expected to today.
I drained the excess oil out of the lawn mower. Annie rolled up the hosed and picked up downed branches. I mowed the back yard, then I showed her how to run the mower. I mowed the steep bank along the driveway and let her finish the flat area. she did great. then I mowed around the trees. One of the pear trees has blossoms. the garlic is about a foot tall. no asparagus yet. most of the grapes have not started budding, but one has buds all the way to the tip. the plum tree is loaded with blossoms. they smell so sweet.

I have to call the fixit shop tomorrow and see when I will get my tractor back. I want to make raised rows with my disc hiller.
but I NEED A TRACTOR !!!

Back
Top Bottom