Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

that is pricey feed .
One winter I had geese, chickens, guineas , muscovy ducks and peacocks. about 100 birds in all.
I bought a pallet of feed. I told Annie that the pallet of
feed was worth more than the whole flock put together.
the junk man did not show up on Sat, , nor did he call.
I think I will have to call him and remind him.

I set eggs under the broody! Hopefully she will be good and the chicks fine, they won't be 6 weeks until early Dec but our run gets wrapped so there won't be any of the high winds.

I have pounds and pounds of tomatoes, peppers and raspberries to process this week. Weather is going to take a turn southwards in a couple days so gotta bring it all in. Chickens will get some squash this week and then the rest gets frozen :)

I have no desire to process any chickens but I have 4 that need to go-wish there was a place close to us but I haven't found one yet.

the light at the end of the tunnel.
and the woman who made it possible.

20221003_144356[1].jpg

good tuesday morning,
today I have to repair the one fork that broke on
the loader bucket yesterday. I would just let it go,
but I need it to lift the heavy steel framed work bench
on which I broke the fork in the first place.
I can use the forks to support the black walnut branches
that I want to saw into 3ft pieces.
the forks are a couple of 4x4''s that I made about ten years
ago.
I want to install three lights in the leanto . I will make
each one turn on/off with a pull string.
just as i think the tractor is up to snuff, i notice one
axle seal is leaking oil. I wish one of my daughters
would date a mechanic.

... I wish one of my daughters
would date a mechanic.
My Dad always planned to travel after retiring and always lamented that out of 5 daughters, at least one of us could have become a stewardess. lol
He finally got his wish, sorta, my oldest sister now works for Alaska Airlines in customer service. He won't travel anymore though, he refuses to deal with airline madness.

Jim, did you get the fork repaired? And lights in the lean-to?

My yesterday was pretty unproductive. When I worked at the newspaper, I got migraines pretty regularly. Now, I get maybe one or two a year. Yesterday was one of those days -- I can handle the headache itself. The bigger problem is that any substantial movement, like standing up and/or walking, results in having to vomit. Timing was awful, it was the last day of my sister's visit.

On the plus side, she unloaded and placed all the concrete stepping stones I'd purchased to put around the new chicken run. Of course, they were in her SUV, so I guess she kind of had to get rid of them.

Barb, sorry you weren't feeling well. I don't suffer from migraines but my oldest does and I always feel so bad when she gets one. Glad that you were able to spend some time with your sister and that she was able to unload those stepping stones for you!

Nothing too exciting here, preparing for the freeze tonight and tomorrow-I have green raspberries and strawberries still as well as a lot of fall lettuce coming up and don't have the plastic up on the tunnel frames yet. Guess I better get a move on.

I put in two buckets of dried leaves for the chickens yesterday, the 10 weeks olds didn't know what to think. My hen is still sitting so I put 6 eggs under her, so we will see, hatch day is the 23rd. Hopefully the super cold weather stays away until the end of Dec/early Jan so that they can feather out! I am crazy!

Found an FFA kid to take my two roosters next week, not sure what they are going to do with them but probably will be eating them. It is all good, I have two hens that I have offered to him too, hopefully he takes them. They barely lay eggs and are flighty and not really what I am looking for in my flock (they are Polish), would make good soup chickens-fingers crossed.

Will be hauling in wood today, mowing the yard one last time (though there will still be leave sweeping to do) and taking the car to the car wash. Next week, I will need to wrap up the chicken run, clean out the coop and add new shavings and straw. I need to cut some plywood for vent covers to put in the coop during the day, last year with the winter winds there was such a whirwind in the coop between the pop-up door and the vents so I covered them with some carpet pieces, but they would fly all over-with the new chicks I need something a little sturdier.

Anyway, hope you all have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom