Dreaming of Spring

newchck

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
Hey ya'll! I am already dreaming of spring. After raising our first 5 chicks this year, who are now big and healthy and oh so happy, we decided to get more chicks in the spring!! I am thinking 6. We already have the materials for our run. We are going to be using an outdoor dog kennel, but are going to predator proof it of course. I am so excited I think we may have to start building the new coop now! Lol, here I am just rambling. What are your favorite breeds? I know I want some more easter eggers for sure. Maybe a barred rock and black sex link? Any reccomended "raised coop" plans?

CluckerFamily

Enabler
5 Years
Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
Spring Fever has already hit!!!
I only have easter eggers. I just love this breed so much, I will always have just EEs.
My coop is about 1-2' off the ground but I don't have any plans. I am horrible about drawing out my ideas before building, I just build it which is a weakness. Hopefully others can help with the plans part.

newchck

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Midwest
Spring Fever has already hit!!!
I only have easter eggers. I just love this breed so much, I will always have just EEs.
My coop is about 1-2' off the ground but I don't have any plans. I am horrible about drawing out my ideas before building, I just build it which is a weakness. Hopefully others can help with the plans part.
We built our last coop very loosely off of basically just a picture, so I get it :p
We also really love our EE's, I am wanting at lease 3 more, we have 2 currently.

Fatimetta

Songster
Aug 4, 2019
Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
Hey ya'll! I am already dreaming of spring. After raising our first 5 chicks this year, who are now big and healthy and oh so happy, we decided to get more chicks in the spring!! I am thinking 6. We already have the materials for our run. We are going to be using an outdoor dog kennel, but are going to predator proof it of course. I am so excited I think we may have to start building the new coop now! Lol, here I am just rambling. What are your favorite breeds? I know I want some more easter eggers for sure. Maybe a barred rock and black sex link? Any reccomended "raised coop" plans?

I am dreaming of spring too! I was thinking of six chicks too :D Last year chicken math hit me hard so I already upgraded my coop- now no more coops! I sold a lot of my extra roosters this year though so I do have plenty of space for more birdies.

I'm thinking I want an Easter Egger too and an Olive Egger (I had both from this past spring, but they turned out to be boys!). I also would love to have a buff orpington and a leghorn for some white eggs. And a local breeder sells mille fleur cochin bantam hatching eggs so I might try hatching and see what I get too :D:D:D Spring is so exciting!

PS I absolutely love barred rocks! They are the best!

3KillerBs

Enabler
12 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I'm dreaming over hatchery catalogs too.

I know I want more Blue Australorps, at least one Dark Brahma, and some Delawares.

I'm also thinking of French Black or Cuckoo Marans, White Legbars, and maybe Empordanesas.

I probably want another white layer or two.

And to end up with 1-2 roosters.

My intent is to buy more than I need and sell started pullets until I get down to about a dozen birds total. Then expand to around 18-20 with 1/3 of the flock replaced every year afterward.

Buying more than I need and selling off the ones I like least will help me figure out if there's one breed I like better than the others so as to focus on them or if I'll always want to maintain a mixed flock.

Top Bottom