Dried Bonito Shaved Cat Snacks for Chickens???

MarkJP

Songster
Mar 29, 2018
Connecticut
Hello All,

My wife and I are new to raising and I have a question regarding treats for chickens. Our daughter gave us a bag of dried, shaved Bonito fish snack pieces. It states that the contents contain 100% dried Bonito fish and is all natural. It also states on the bag that it is a good source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Taurine (don’t know what that is). No other ingredients are listed. It is a snack for cats actually and her cats didn’t like it and ours didn’t either. I know that chickens are omnivores, but I wasn’t sure this type of snack would be appropriate. I’m asking because I believe I saw some previous comments about feeding chickens cat food. This would be a one time thing since the bag is only 4oz. What do you think? Figured I’d ask before I acted!!!

I would try a little and see how they take to it. I think the only thing with some fish is it can possibly make eggs fishy, but if it's just a small amount I don't think it should be an issue.

Definition of taurine: a crystalline acid C2H7NO3S that is synthesized in the body from cysteine and methionine, is similar to amino acids but is not a component of proteins, and is involved in various physiological functions (such as bile acid conjugation and cell membrane stabilization)
So in your experience ChickenGeorge, do you think this is safe to feed our birds?

Funny rosemarythyme above mentioned eggs tasting fishy, it wasn't long ago I was having a bacon and egg sandwich and that tasted fishy, I blamed the bacon not thinking it was the egg and I threw the bacon away.

On the subject of the fish snacks I give mine the odd fish treat and they love them, don't over do it or they will be sick to the gills with them, they haven't learned to swim yet though lol.

Funny rosemarythyme above mentioned eggs tasting fishy, it wasn't long ago I was having a bacon and egg sandwich and that tasted fishy, I blamed the bacon not thinking it was the egg and I threw the bacon away.

On the subject of the fish snacks I give mine the odd fish treat and they love them, don't over do it or they will be sick to the gills with them, they haven't learned to swim yet though lol.
Thanks Col...we'll try a bit at a time. Don't want fishy eggs! Love caviar though! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom