Drinking water like crazy, then vomiting

Lenadr

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
I recently got a new group of adult hens. I kept them separate from my flock for 7 days with a look-but-don't-touch fence method, and then incorporated them. Everyone seemed to be fine.
But recently one of the new ones is acting very strange.

She's lethargic for much of the day, but when awake, she will just drink and drink and drink. Then she'll vomit, and drink again.
Last week I treated her with an apple cider vinegar and water mix once a day, and some yogurt and cottage cheese. She perked up for about a week, then I noticed symptoms again today.

I brought her inside today to separate her from the rest of the girls. Her vomit was quite stinky, so I started treating for sour crop. (Her crop isn't impacted; in fact, it's pretty flat. And even when she's not actively vomiting, clear liquid will drip out of her beak.)

I started her on miconazole and tried to give her a little wet food, but she didn't want it. All she wants to do is drink.
I gave her water and she practically stuck her whole head in it to drink. After three or four big gulps, I took the water away. She vomited, and then proceeded to frantically try and drink the vomit, like she's dying of thirst.

What is going on? I've been through lots of threads, but couldn't find a case like this. None of the other hens are acting this way. I hate to withhold water from her! Makes me feel like I'm torturing her. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you!!

First of all do not withhold water. There is a reason she needs to drink. Can you feel of her crop again and compare it with the other’s? I would think her crop would be full and hard or puffy, especially since she has vomited and her breath is sour. Maybe something is stuck in her gizzard farther down? Does she have granite chicken grit available? Can you try offering some scrambled soft egg, and add a little plain yogurt or cottage cheese? Is she passing droppings? Do you think you could get some droppings collected overnight, and take some in to a vet for a fecal float?

I checked her mouth just now, and couldn't see anything abnormal. And the little bit I could see down her throat looked normal too.
Her crop is quite deflated and very squishy. And she hasn't pooped at all in about 4 hours, which is alarming.
She and her sisters all free-range on an acre, so I don't give them grit, since I figure they get it out there naturally. I was mixing oyster shell into their food, but the eggs began to show signs of too much calcium, so I cut that out.
I'll try to give her some scrambled eggs and yogurt tomorrow morning. Hopefully she will have pooped by then and I can see what it looks like. I don't think there's a chicken vet anywhere near me, so unfortunately I just have to kinda wing it. (wink wink)

Thank you all for your help!!

I have her in a warm bath now, and she's drinking the water. I took a picture because she looks so crazy! Her head is fully underwater. I hope she's not breathing any of this in.

Attachments

• 0409192129c.jpg
    0409192129c.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 41
Impacted crop or gizzard can cause excessive drinking. A lot of the time, the impaction causes the stagnant contents of the digestive system to grow yeast and to sour.

Since it does no harm to treat for impacted crop and gizzard, I would give the hen a teaspoon of oil, mineral, coconut, or olive oil. The objective is to get her to poop. In half an hour, give her another teaspoon.

It will help to put her in an infirmary crate to make it easier to monitor her.

Check her crop and poop first thing in the morning. If she's pooped, you can then go on to treat her sour crop. If she hasn't pooped, give her more oil and a stool softener. (Not a laxative)

It's not necessary to withhold water and food. She will drink and eat when she's ready. But keep the food to just dry crumbles or boiled egg.

Back
Top Bottom