Driving me insane

Discussion in 'Geese' started by slmcknight, Nov 10, 2019.

1. slmcknight

slmcknight Hatching

Nov 10, 2019
    I have raised three ducks and a Canadian goose since birth together. The ducks never bonded with the goose and always (and still do) pick on her. She is the sweetest calmest goose. Right before July 4th I bought two African Geese to keep her company, they were literally hours old.
    Fast forward to today and those little jerks are mean to everyone!! They never bonded with her (the Canadian goose), she was always the dominant until a few weeks ago. They pick on my ducks and basically anyone who goes in the yard. They also scream all the time, I swear they have to best ears, if they hear me whisper they start squealing. I’m the only one they aren’t mean to but they aren’t just lovey dovey with me.
    It’s getting cold and all will have to go in same coop and I’m worried about my poor Canadian getting bullied or my ducks getting stressed from being picked at. Any suggestions?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    :welcome For starters I would either separate or better yet rehome the African geese. It sounds as if they are nothing more than an aggravation. I would then try wintering the Canada goose with the three ducks as long as they are not injuring her.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Welcome to geese ownership. I agree with @sourland they need to be separated until they mature more.

Miss Lydia and ColtHandorf like this.
  4. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Crowing

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    I'd rehome the African pair, or find a way to house them separately. I'd avoid Chinese or African geese as companions for the Canada you have. Look to more gentle breeds, like Toulouse, Embden, Pilgrim, American Buff, etc. the geese lacking the Swan Goose influence...they are generally calmer, and quieter. Although my Buffs can get loud on occasion. I'm interested to see how they deal with the migrating Snow Geese that graze in the pastures behind the house in the early Spring. I imagine they'll be keyed up the whole time they are in the area.

sourland likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Geese can even kill ducks so you def don’t want to coop the geese with the ducks and I wouldn’t put the Canada in with these 2 geese either. Best to rehome ASAP

sourland and ColtHandorf like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: