Drooping comb, ting of purple at top

FloridaFlock

Chirping
Jun 8, 2020
I have a two year old Buff Orpington. She's been acting a little strange for a while. I thought maybe she was getting bullied. She hasn't seemed interested in eating mealworm or scratch when I feed our small 6 bird flock. Today she came out with the others and took a social dirt bath. When I went to bring the flock back into their run by feeding them scratch and worms she didn't join them. Again not totally unusual but I went searching for her. She was lagging. behind. Seemed a little more slow today. Her comb started dropping a few weeks ago but didn't seem problematic so I assumed aging and growth was to blame. Today there seems to be a ting of purple. Not totally noticeable but new for her and concerning to me. I brought her inside to cool down in an attempt to rehydrate in case that was the issue bur she feels lighter and smells a little sickly. Hard to explain the smell, just not well. I noticed her tummy is growling (or what ours would do if we were hungry). Offered tuna (she ate three bites and then refused the rest, offered grapes (she wasn't interested), offered scratch (not interested), offered water with vitamins and electrolytes (not interested). Her crop feels mushy and full. She just sitting in the carrier sleeping. She doesn't "look" extremely sick from pictures but she's not herself and the slightly purple comb, her level of activity, disinterest in food and mushy crop concern me. Thinking of deworming her (and the flock) for good measure but hoping someone else has experienced something similar, has some advice and had good outcomes. TIA!

Attachments

• tempImage6kf41f.png
    tempImage6kf41f.png
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImageKGD9dn.png
    tempImageKGD9dn.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • tempImagerztRXI.png
    tempImagerztRXI.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
She’s has two small watery poops. Sorry TMI. Vent looks clean. Some normal dirty feathers from past movements but overall looks normal from what I can tell. When I went to check I tipped her forward and some fluid did come out of her mouth. It makes me think sour crop but can a chicken have circulatory issues (purplish comb) from a sour crop?

Attachments

• B7BEC222-85CE-48F7-9AF1-5D17A5C45C81.jpeg
    B7BEC222-85CE-48F7-9AF1-5D17A5C45C81.jpeg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 6
Almost certain it’s a sour crop & maybe she aspirated before which is causing the profusion issues in her comb. I just leaned her forward and a ton of nasty stinky liquid came out. Taking her to vet to hopefully get some antibiotics now. Hoping that will help her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom