drooping head. what does she got

fishman65

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
flat rock
Have a pen with 9 yellow buffs and 1 EE. they are 3 months old. tonight when i went to feed them i noticed a hen and a rooster with there head on the coop floor. they have no energy and just lay on floor. they are in an indoor pen, off the floor and well ventilated. breathing is fine, poop is brown and runny. they were fine this am and now they look like they are on deaths door. I seperated them from the rest of the others. anybody have any ideas as to what course of action i should take. they are still on medicated starter and i don't see any blood in poop. at a loss. they have not been wormed yet either. did not come to feed when i fed them. any guesses?
hu.gif

Sorry for your chickies! I hope someone gets on that can help you out. I'm so inexperienced at this so I have no clue.... I hope you've caught it early!! Hang in there.

Well this morning they are just a little better. They are both standing but can't keep there heads held up. they ate a little egg and some high protien chick feed. They ruffle their feathers and take deep breaths but not labored breathing. no sounds when they breath. I think this is the start of something. just waiting for other symptoms. eyes are clear and no discharge at all.

Just some questions. How often do you change their water? Is it in a "closed" system. (some people put water in pails etc. ) What kind of food are you feeding them. At this age they should still be on starter. IMO. Not layer until 6mo. at least. Is the coop clean? What's the temp and is the ventilation near the top or bottom? Any drafts? What kind of supplemental foods are you giving them? Greens, treats, things like that. My rule is if I won't eat it, I won't give it to them.
As far as hay and straw, you must make sure there is no mold. Mold is a silent killer of more than livestock. Is there plenty of light. You have to have windows. Window should face the east, The sun rises in the east and you want the sun as soon as possilbe. They don't have to open you just want to get that light. Good lighting can prevent some molds from growing. If it smells funky to you the chickens are closer to the funk.

If you haven't subscribe to Back yard poultry Mag. I have no vested interest in it I just think there are alot of interesting and helpful articles each month. I really like Practical poultry from the UK. but it is expensive.

Last edited:
their water gets changed at least twice a day. they are in a raised pen two feet off the ground and it is 6'x4'x4' with 1/2x1/2 wire on floor. They are on 20% chick starter. Poop falls through wire onto tarp which is washed and changed out at least twice a week. the cage is in a 2000sq ft metal shed, temps are in the 50s with no draft. the coop has light and there is about 12 double bulb 8' floresence lights in the shed. So far these two are the only ones affected, but i am waiting for signs from the others.

How does the water look when you change it? Any poop in it things like that? Where do you buy your feed and what brand is it? Is there a sell by date? I once had feed that apparently got a hole in the bag cuz there was a lump in it. Gotta watch out for those. I would clean the tarp more and not under the pen. Air borne disease is definitly something you want to watch out for. Any mice/rodents, wild birds eating the poop or around your pen? None of these questions is to insinuate that this is your fault. It just may be the birds. Chickens some times die for no known reason.
You have quarantined them, and thats the first thing to do w/ a sick or new bird.
I would try some vitamins in their water.
Always keep an armory of treatments on hand. As difficult as this is to hear , sometimes there is nothing you can do. Personally I give vitamins once a month just as a precaution, it can't hurt and it may help. I put it in the water and whatever they get til the changing is it.

I just noticed in your post you said, "I went to feed them". Do they have an "on demand" supply of feed?

All the best
Rancher

sometimes there is poop in the water. the feed does have a date on it. the feed is also feed for about 50 chicks that have been hatched out in the last month. they do have a 7lb hanging feeder but i never fill it as i dont want feed exposed and going stale. they never are without feed. shed is secure and no birds can get into feed or poop tarp.
I just took coop outside and gave it a thourgh wash down with a hose and disenfectant. scrubed it real good. don't think that is it but i am at a loss as too the cause of this disease. they are not dead yet they are just sick. Hen is eating and standing and looking a little better but rooster is still in bad shape.

You can get Poli-Visol Liquid W/O iron vitamin drops from wally world. I think I paid 5 or 6 bucks foa a bottle. It might help. I am so Sorry this is happening! I wish you the best of luck! Is there any way to get them inside or in a heated area until this passes? Just thought it might help.

Good Luck and God Bless!

well, now i am stumped. tonight both the hen and rooster are doing fine. both got some scrambled egg and pasta and thats it. well enough to go back with the others. BUT,
now there is another hen with the drooping head. (sigh) so she has been seperated from the others and given some soft food. Just out of sheer curiosity can they be really tired? grasping at straws I know!

I am as confused as you are. I had a 2 day old chick with the same symptoms. None of the other 12 were effected. I had my little "gas chamber" ready to cull him but when I went in to get him (after watching for 2 days) he looked stronger. Decided to wait and now after 5 days he looks and acts normal. Go figure!

Back
Top Bottom