Droopy chicken w/weird poop...not acting right...help?

franklinchickens

Songster
9 Years
May 19, 2010
Franklin, TN
My EE hen has been acting very lethargic the last few days. Laying on the hill, or near the hay bale on the side of the house, or going up on the roost. Just not her usual perky self. Not hanging with the rest of the hens either. She's eating some, though not interested in things like scratch or feed. Drinking water well. I gave her some plain yogurt just now and she gobbled it up.
Overall, she appears healthy except that I noticed a bit of poop in her feathers right near her bum (not a lot, just a few bits), and there was a really nasty, kind of stringy poop under the roost this morning on the floor of the coop. Her tail is also hanging down and it is usually raised high.
Her diet is laying feed, scratch & other treats including yogurt and fruits/veggies plus she free ranges with the others. Plenty of fresh water.
I'm concerned primarily because I can't get her to a vet until Monday, and she's our favorite chicken. It's 4:30 and she's up on the roost with her tail down right now looking kind of pathetic.
She laid an egg yesterday and the day before, not today though as an EE, I don't expect one every day.
I haven't noticed worms in the poop in the coop though I'm not sure that I would (do worms stay in it when it is excreted?).
Any thoughts on what this might be? Should I be worried?

Thanks @ddawn for the chart - I bookmarked it for future reference - very helpful - it could either be normal or perhaps worms or peritonitis. If she doesn't get better soon, I'll take her to the vet on Monday. This is the 2nd time she's been sick and of course both have been on Saturday. She's the only one of my hens to ever be sick.
I should have taken a picture of it - I'll look tomorrow morning and see.

Kinda sounds like worms. Not sure though. We use one tablespoon of Basic H from Shaklee and a half cup of Apple Cider Vinegar per 5 gallons of water to keep our chickens innards healthy (from worms anyway).

Last edited:
Another nasty poop in the coop this morning but she's perkier. Her tail feathers are up and she's walking around with the rest of the flock as she normally does. I think I"m still going to take her to the vet tomorrow anyway just to check for worms. If she's got them, I'll assume they all do, and I'll medicate appropriately. I was really worried yesterday because she was so lethargic but hopefully she passed whatever it was because today she's acting much more normally.
Update: Mimi seems to be back to normal. Perky tail, eating well, hanging with the flock and no nasty poops this morning. I wonder if she ate something in the yard that didn't agree with her. My vet is doing herd rounds (?) until Thursday so I will probably just take her in for a quick check up to be sure there's nothing serious.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom