droopy chicks

krobin04

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Lincoln County
We have 3 Americana chicks (a forth died about a week ago, without any other symptom except droopiness), who are sleepy looking. They keep there heads beaks down resting on the ground, and sit with their bodies to one side and legs out to the other side. One keeps her eyes closed alot (splash), and I gave them all VetRx today. Seem more energetic. The splash has tiny red dots on its cere. They are about 2 mths old. Also- they are all clumsy.

I have no quick answer, but do have more questions -

What are your chicks eating? What does their poop look like? How well are they eating? Inside or outside? Grit offered/treats offered? Still under a heat lamp? Have you looked them over for lice/mites?

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
If you are for sure that mites/lice are not a problem, I would treat them for coccidiosis right away. The symptoms you described sounds like cocci before it gets really severe. Cathryn

Our splash died early this morning. Very comfortable, the kids had her set up well for her journey. Funeral out back. I gave them Poly vit-sol today and they have gotten up more today than ever. I give them scrambled egg yolks, which they barely touch, but they are eating their starter well. Today I started putting grit with their food, and still rubbed the VetRx on their heads. Am waiting for treatments from 1stvet. So far the Wyandottes are OK. They were housed together since we 1st brought them home. I gave them the same stuff today, except they gobbled up the egg like they are starving! I will research coccidioides. The poo is a little jellied today but I am thinking that is from the new vits?

hide.gif
Other two haven't gotten worse. I am taking some poo to the vet for testing, and am still waiting for the sanitizer and vaccine to come. No mites, no sores. Only they still fall to their sides instead of sit down, and are always stretching their wings and legs. They actually look bigger today to me. Not out of it yet...

Back
Top Bottom