Droopy wing

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Airplaneguy57, May 7, 2011.

1. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    We have one lone baby goose who has one droopy wing. It's just the last joint. Have any of you ever had one of these.

2. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Yes - a lot of us have had them. How old is your goose and does its wing droop down or stick out? Also is it the left wing? There is a lot of help and it's a real easy fix if it's angel wing. Let us know.

3. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    Ok she is about 2 months old and her right wing sticks out. When she flaps her wings both wings seem to work ok. It's only when she tucks her wings.

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    It's probably just normal drooping from too much blood in the feathers. They get that way. If it was angel wing it's almost always in the left wing if it's only in one. It sounds like it can get it into the right position if it tries. That's normal too. Hope it's just normal growing. Didn't get hurt right?

Google angel wing just to make sure or look at some of the posts with angel wing. I'd hate to see you not fix it if it's not right.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  5. dawnwinds58

dawnwinds58 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Greensburg
    Quote:Look up Angel Wing in geese. Many sources recommend wrapping it in proper position for while but only if they are growing goslings well supervised. They do grow fast so checking the tightness of the wrap regularly is important. I have a girl with Angel Wing I purchased before I knew anything about the condition. One thing I did find out was if a pair had young with the condition, that pair was likely to continue having young with it. I changed ganders on that female. Result, no angel wing so far. Next year will be better to be sure it has worked since they also say it could be diet related. I feed differently than the woman I purchased from. My way of using geese as my 'weedeaters' under my fruit trees may also have influenced its occurrence.

6. ThebigE

ThebigE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    TOO MUCH PROTEIN!! I find when I feed my geese high protein feed until they get a certain age they have that droopy wing issue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by