Drop in egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by groovimum, Jan 9, 2009.

1. groovimum

groovimum Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2007
    Hi, I have a problem with my girls some are a little older(nearly 2.5 yrs) which were ex battery hens. I recently purchased 15 pullets , altogether we had just over 30 girls and a roo. The eggs came quicky about 22-24 per day slowly but surely the egss slowed, firstly because of the weather it got a little cool and stayed that way for a while. Then we had lice (all fixed now) which caused loss of feathers. I lost a few to age so now I'm down to 25 but I'm only getting 10-12 eggs daily. So I guess my question is should I get rid of the older girls (I'm not sure if they're still laying) I have tried giving them protein and some oats or barley. Don't know what else to do to increase eggs Pleas help!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I believe in fresh vitamin water daily. McMurray also sells Avian 2000; it's a bit too expensive, but after starting mine on it egg production doubled. Could be coincidental, but still, I suggest supplying the ultimate diet which includes vitamin water, use DE for control of mites/lice, etc., and keep the chickie house clean. Give minimum of 14 hours of full spectrum light daily. Hope this helps.

3. jhc

jhc Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2007
    2.5 yrs old isn't too old. I had some that were 6 years old that finally quit. Make sure you're giving them the 14 plus daylight hours with a light set up compensate the shorter days.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I believe (and may be wrong) Leghorns and Stars wear out more quickly... also the dropping temps may have something to do with it! Any big events lately?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by