Drop in egg production

JeannieWish

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 18, 2013
Co Mayo. Ireland
Hi,
I got my chickens last July. They started laying in September .

I have 6 chickens and from the day they started laying last September I have had 5 or 6 eggs every day.

Till last week and now I'm getting one or two eggs a day.

Nothing has changed in their lives, same diet, same environment etc

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you xxx

Could be the weather, or some of them might be molting. Are there shell remains in the nestboxes? that points to a chicken eating eggs. Could they have found an alternate nest and are laying their eggs there?
I'd wait a few weeks and see if it drops more or if it picks back up if they are not molting, egg eating, or laying elsewhere.

my hens dropped off in laying awhile back , I got a different layer food , different brand then several days after that they picked up in egg production.

Thank you for replying guys,

When we first got the chicks we fed them 3 times a day.

In the morning we gave them layer pellets , in the afternoon we gave them porridge and at about 6/7 pm we gave them more layer pellets.

We fed them like this till the days got shorter, then we knocked the last layer pellets off and just gave them the porridge later in the afternoon.

I was thinking that they may need the extra layer pellets now that the days are longer once again.

So today I started giving them their nightly pellets and I'll see how it goes.

The only other thing that's happened is a dog got into the run and hurt one of the chickens, that was 3 weeks ago and she recovered after a few days.

Thanks again xxx

Back
Top Bottom