Dropped a sick chick ~ Its alive but for how long ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JBarringerNC, Dec 7, 2012.

1. JBarringerNC

JBarringerNC Chillin' With My Peeps

i noticed last night that one of the chicks that just came out of my 1st homemade incubator has a severe
    bend in its neck and i picked it up last night and while doing so the chick some how jumped from my hands and
    falls over 4 ft onto the asphalt in our garage..
    the chick looked dead, and my heart dropped because my wife was already so emotionally involved with this little sick baby chick.

By the grace of god this chick is fine and I now wonder if it'll make it with the crooked neck it's sporting?

Its hard to tell if it'll eat and drink by itself because it is less than a full day old, I removed it from the incubator and
    into the brooder it went.

Anyway, its back in the box inside the brooder and seems fine..

Should I place this chick with the other 4 chicks ??
    Will he do better if placed with them, I am trying to be as compassionate as possible because I did drop him
    and it's amazing that it's alive.. Hope there's no internal injuries.

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would put him in with the other chicks for now. Keep an eye on him - you might have to cull him. Believe me, it will be easier to do it now than when everyone gets attached to him over the next few weeks. I have kept many a "sad case" because I'm a softy, only to have to cull them later on when they were older.

Good luck!

3. JBarringerNC

I just went out and checked on him, and honestly he was sleeping but then he woke up and started cleaning himself off and started walking around with a much straighter neck... I am not sure how this little guy lived through that 4'ft fall onto hard concrete but since he did make it and seems normal I'm certainly gonna give the little guy a chance.

After he fell onto the floor last night I then picked him up and proceeded to put him out of his misery.. (but then he woke up and my wife said NO NO NO...) you better give him another chance, And ever since then he's honestly perked up and trying to act like a normal chick.

It's amazing how resilient these little chicks are. If he keeps making progress through the morning i'll put him in there after he cleans himself up a little more.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm glad to hear the fall seem to have done him more good than bad LOL Hope he recovers completely so he can rejoin his friends.

5. JBarringerNC

Yeah that's what I told my wife too.. I just hope I don't eat my words later if he doesn't turn out to make it.
    I know one thing, he's scared to death of me now! But who could blame him. [​IMG]

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I've got my fingers crossed for him! [​IMG]

7. JBarringerNC

Its drinking & eating on its own.
    Surprised me!
    I guess it seen the otgrers doing it and learned.

Still crooked neck, or WRY neck.
    Im gonna try that otc vitamem stuff that u add to their water..

8. JBarringerNC

well after learning it has wry neck and on top of my dropping it on the concrete the other day my wife has taken it upon herself to try and nurse it back to health..
    and I don't have the heart to tell her she's doing most of this in vain.
    This little guy isn't gonna make it from what I can tell, I just went out there and he's on his back (at 1st I thought he was gone) but I touched him and he opened his eyes and
    moved himself to the corner of the little box inside of the brooder we've put him in.

we purchased Poly-Vi-Sol (w.out Iron) and my wife's been giving him a dosage every 5 hrs since yesterday at 5pm,

I tried my best to convince her it's best to put it down because he's probably in some pain or discomfort.. but being the soft heart she is, she would not allow it until
    she tried every thing to save him.

I honestly feel that when I dropped the little guy it hurt him internally and it's slowly killing him.. If he does die i'll try to bury the little fella before she finds out.

9. JBarringerNC

We came downstairs this morning and the little chick that was sick with WRY NECK was doing much worse. I was very upset with my wife b/c she wouldn't originally let me take it out back and put it out of its misery.
    She then said I'll give it one last attempt to try and feed it.

She blended pedialyte and starter mix until it was liquid, and gave it to him with an eye dropper.

So far shes done this 4 times today and he seems MUCH better and actually might have a chance to make it.

He's chirping and lively, opening his eyes (as he wasn't before this morning).

Next time she said she's gonna add a little YOGURT, POLY-VI-SOL with the STARTER FOOD, and PEDIALYTE to see how he likes it.

I'm very proud of her and her not giving up on this little chick. We'll see how well he does after a few days.
    Will keep yall posted.

10. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    You're gonna have to put up a sign, advertising your new 'Chickopractor Chiroquacktic' business ... first adjustments always free?

One precaution while tryin' to take care of unhealthy birds, beyond the potential risk that they may be to the others, is that folks tend to try 'n improve their mixtures of food offered ... the result can be that they are offered too much of an otherwise good thing. ::edit:: (too much protein, or complex carbs, or excessive levels of nutrients/vitamins, etc.) ::/edit::

As quickly as possible, try to allow this one to become no different from the rest ... intervene as req'd, but encourage their return to fending for themselves; it truly serves the best interests of the chick, the flock, and you 'n your wife, if you can ~'-)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by