Dropped comb and listless

Unfortunately her vent smells like there might be an infection. I am very sad.

Attachments

• CC67EA6F-1D9F-43CC-99A9-9D5E2DB2045F.jpeg
    CC67EA6F-1D9F-43CC-99A9-9D5E2DB2045F.jpeg
    692.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 7A7CF781-D872-4B2C-A040-3192A2E5A8C9.jpeg
    7A7CF781-D872-4B2C-A040-3192A2E5A8C9.jpeg
    763 KB · Views: 2
I would work on hydration, give her 1 Tums or 1 Caltrate with D3. Direct dosing of the Calcium can help with contractions to push the egg out.

Some hens pant when they are going to lay an egg, so I would give her some time and see if she's able to pass the egg.

If she's not used to being handled, this can be stressful as well.

I would work on hydration, give her 1 Tums or 1 Caltrate with D3. Direct dosing of the Calcium can help with contractions to push the egg out.

Some hens pant when they are going to lay an egg, so I would give her some time and see if she's able to pass the egg.

If she's not used to being handled, this can be stressful as well.
She is very calm now being held. I have avian calcium on hand. How many mg should I give her? Thank you.

Look around and under vent and elsewhere for any maggots, which can cause flystrike and infection. Can you insert a clean finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or obstruction? Use a disposable glove if you have one. Hopefully, this won’t happen, but if you should lose her, it would be good to either do a home necropsy or send her to your state vet for one. With a home necropsy, some findings can be obvious by looking and taking pictures of the organs.

If it's liquid calcium, then give her 1cc.

You don't see any wounds underneath her that may be the source of smell?

She may have infection of the oviduct. Salpingitis comes to mind.
It’s powdered calcium that I made into a egg yolk slurry. I gave her 2 cc about an hour ago. She has eaten 3 boiled eggs today and some nutridrench. She is accepting water and we are offering it every 15 mins or so. She takes 3-4 good drinks each time. No wounds but her underside rear is swollen and tight. 🙁thank you for your help.

Look around and under vent and elsewhere for any maggots, which can cause flystrike and infection. Can you insert a clean finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or obstruction? Use a disposable glove if you have one. Hopefully, this won’t happen, but if you should lose her, it would be good to either do a home necropsy or send her to your state vet for one. With a home necropsy, some findings can be obvious by looking and taking pictures of the organs.
No maggots, no flystrike. No egg when checking vent. Feels like egg is lower on underside, it is distended and tight. Thank you for your help. 💛💛💛😞

It’s powdered calcium that I made into a egg yolk slurry. I gave her 2 cc about an hour ago. She has eaten 3 boiled eggs today and some nutridrench. She is accepting water and we are offering it every 15 mins or so. She takes 3-4 good drinks each time. No wounds but her underside rear is swollen and tight. 🙁thank you for your help.
It sounds like you are doing all you can for her.

I'm sorry to hear that her abdomen is so swollen. It may be fluid, could be a mass or ? Hard to know.
Since she's eating a bit and drinking, you may want to give her a little while to see what happens.
I've had hens with swelling of the abdomen that were not well for a couple of days, but did somewhat "bounce back". Of course, they had some type of reproductive issue that they eventually succumbed to.

Please keep us posted on how you both are getting along. It can be very sad.

Back
Top Bottom