Dropping bards vs. Dropping pit

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anny, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I am thinking of doing a little rebuilding on my coop, and I have to remake some of the roosts. SO I was thinking this would be a good time to add either a boarding or a pit to help collect the bulk of the poop under the roosts.

Which one do you use, and why? Do you have photos of it? What are the pro/cons to both?

How often do you have to clean your dropping board?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    IMO, a droppings board is what you want if you're going to clean it daily or maybe every couple-few days. Because it wastes less time and bedding.

A droppings *pit* is what you want if you're going to clean it less often.

However I am not convinced it makes a huge difference [​IMG]

Pat

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I just put in the "chicken litter boxes". No smell, no flies, no poopies on their feet, and I haven't touched it in two weeks. I seriously mean to empty it every week but I have been sooo sick that an extra week slipped by and you would never know it!

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Do you have any photos of your chicken litter box ?

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Ditto - explain chicken litter box please.

6. captainmoose

captainmoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    SE PA
    I built a roost box for my coop, its 6ft long, 30in wide and 2 ft high. The top is 1x4 frame that is hinged to the wall of the coop. The top frame has 4 2x2's evenly spaced across the top for roosts. Chicken wire is attached to the underside of the top frame, catches any eggs if they lay while roosting and the poo goes through it. I put a tarp inside the box on the coop floor, cover that with paper. I clean out every week. Every day any droppings I find in the nest boxes or in the wood shavings I throw it in the roost box, at the end of the week I wrap the tarp up and put it on the compost pile, put the tarp and paper back and I'm good for another week or so.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  7. CKMom

CKMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    cooped up
    We use a dropping board, greatest thing since sliced bread:rolleyes:
    The roosting board is hinged and can be lifted and hooked out of the way. easy enough to scrape it every day. I was amazed at how much cleaner the coop stays now.

8. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I think that is what sounds good to me a litter box under the roost.
    but what do you put into it so its easier to dump out.

9. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    I put newspaper and then a layer of untreated wood chips or sawdust. I dump the whole lot, paper and all, into my compost bin. When the compost breaks down I spread it on my gardens.

10. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by