Dropping bards vs. Dropping pit

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
I am thinking of doing a little rebuilding on my coop, and I have to remake some of the roosts. SO I was thinking this would be a good time to add either a boarding or a pit to help collect the bulk of the poop under the roosts.

Which one do you use, and why? Do you have photos of it? What are the pro/cons to both?

How often do you have to clean your dropping board?

IMO, a droppings board is what you want if you're going to clean it daily or maybe every couple-few days. Because it wastes less time and bedding.

A droppings *pit* is what you want if you're going to clean it less often.

However I am not convinced it makes a huge difference
wink.png

Pat

I just put in the "chicken litter boxes". No smell, no flies, no poopies on their feet, and I haven't touched it in two weeks. I seriously mean to empty it every week but I have been sooo sick that an extra week slipped by and you would never know it!

I built a roost box for my coop, its 6ft long, 30in wide and 2 ft high. The top is 1x4 frame that is hinged to the wall of the coop. The top frame has 4 2x2's evenly spaced across the top for roosts. Chicken wire is attached to the underside of the top frame, catches any eggs if they lay while roosting and the poo goes through it. I put a tarp inside the box on the coop floor, cover that with paper. I clean out every week. Every day any droppings I find in the nest boxes or in the wood shavings I throw it in the roost box, at the end of the week I wrap the tarp up and put it on the compost pile, put the tarp and paper back and I'm good for another week or so.

Last edited:
We use a dropping board, greatest thing since sliced bread:rolleyes:
The roosting board is hinged and can be lifted and hooked out of the way. easy enough to scrape it every day. I was amazed at how much cleaner the coop stays now.

I put newspaper and then a layer of untreated wood chips or sawdust. I dump the whole lot, paper and all, into my compost bin. When the compost breaks down I spread it on my gardens.

Back
Top Bottom