dropping board pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sydney13, May 18, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    can you show me your pics of dropping broads and dropping pits? would you suggest building a pit or board for a 6 by 8 ft coop?

2. hkwdesign

hkwdesign Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    NE Massachusetts
    I'm at this point too - I'll bump you up and hopefully (we'll) you'll get a reply!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I have only done the dropping board, so can't give an opinion on pits. I do like being able to clean off the dropping board without bending over. I just scrape the poop into my "poop bucket" with a putty knife each day and it's done. Takes less than a minute for me.
    [​IMG]

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:i have one silkie in the flock who cant fly well, so i would either have to put the roosts low to the ground or have a ladder going up for her, which way do you think would work better?

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, I like ALL of my floor space being useable, so I would want at least 18 inches of clearance below the dropping boards (there is 27 inches of clearance in my pic). So that means that the roost would need to be about 2 ft. high. But you want your roosts higher than your nest box perches anyhow. Could your silky handle making it up to a 24 inch roost??? If not, then add a ladder. I have one in my photo because my big old BO has a hard time flying up there. And my coop is 6 x 8 too.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you go to my personal page (link at left under my username) and look at the pic of the sussexes, you can see one of my droppings boards.

Pat

7. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by