Dropping boards...Better with shavings and a lip or just some tile

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shellyb, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I am going to have DH build me a droppings board but I don't know if we should do a lip around it so we can put shavings or is it better to just be able to scrap it out daily? Do you find one easier then the other? Thanks

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I have a tray for my dropping boards...i fill it with shavings and just dump it every few days..

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I have a board, added lip around it and filled it with PDZ. I scoop every day like a litterbox. Love it, it is so easy.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are going to clean it off every morning (my preference), no lip. If you are going to let stuff accumulate for a few days, then a light dusting of shavings is good, and a lip *if* they get swept off by the birds' wings or feet (depends on your setup). If you use a lip, you might want the front long edge of it to be hinged so it will fold out of the way for easy cleaning.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Quote:what's PDZ?

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Quote:what's PDZ?

Sweet PDZ is used in stalls etc to dry droppings and keep smells/flies down. Looks like coarde sand and is clay with diatomaceous earth...can use StallDri too. I love it, does not smell and it is so easy to scoop droppings out of. Droppings go straight in the compost and refill the tray as needed. I also sprinkle a layer on the floor of the coop before adding shvings, then sprinkle as needed. I tried shavings first but hard to scoop, gets messy and creatures more moisture....I can buy both PDZ and StallDri in 40 lbs bags at the farmers co-op and the local petfood warehouse

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

My droppings board it flat, and covered with linoleum. I plow threw it every morning. It literally takes less than a minute. It keeps they flys down, and no smell in my coop. I use DE on the bedding and sprinkle some on the roosts and droppings board as well.

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:This method works perfectly for me. I have 30 chickens.
    I spray a bleach solution on the linoleum once a week and wash off with the garden hose. I remove the linoleum from the coop.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by