1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dropping boards revised w/pic

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Baymen Moe, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Well, after a little thought on how wide I made my dropping boards, I decided to widen them. Thanks to those that suggested it yesterday. I knew in the back of my head I was going to do it anyway. It only took an hour or so to revise. The pictures may help other newbies (like myself) with their project.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

That! is MUCH!!! better great job it doesnt matter how anyone tries there crap is gonna get every where but that should help a lot you should post some pics of the rest of your coop

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  3. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    I'm looking at a box under the roost to make cleaning easier. Is the self better?

4. Baymen Moe

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    The way I'm looking at it I can just use a trowel or wide putty knife and scrape the stuff into a bucket. Using the leftover vinyl tiles for the top should make it easy to clean.

Bill

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks good to me! [​IMG]

I used to use a plastic dustpan (as in, "-and-brush") to scrape mine every morning, it was from the dollar store and after about a year it broke and I now use a ~8-10" wide metal scraper thing from the hardware store.

When choosing an implement, bear in mind you will have to scrape the stuff behind the roost to the edge of the board to plow it off into a bucket; and with relatively low clearance between roost and board the way you have it, you will want some sort of fairly nimble sort of implement, and may have to experiment to see what works best for you.

have fun! (if scooping poop is fun [​IMG]),

Pat

6. Baymen Moe

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    I've already got an old garden hoe with a broken handle. Looks like I'll shorten it to length, should be perfect.

Thanks, Bill

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Looks good.

8. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    I like the tile Idea. looks like it would make clean up easy. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by