Dropping pit?

karmical

Yes you can just add a shelf under I do suggest you use a 2x4 with sightly rounded edges (or really large tree branches)

they might be confused at first but, they will figure it out

Thanks everyone for the comments, I just signed onto this site yesterday and its been a great help all ready. I just got the call that my chicks are at the post office. I have to see if I can leave work now to get them.

Thanks RChicks.

Is there something about the dimensions of the 2x4 that makes it a better roost than a 2x6? They still like to duck under each other at night and switch places up there, so I kinda like the wider board for that reason....

Quote:
RChicks - what I have read here is that some folks like to take that 2x4 and carve or sand off the top corners, forming a gradually rounded surface. In the winter, the birds are able to arch their feet on that surface and huddle down over their toes to keep them warm. Someone else may add to this, but as I see, this is what has been previously posted.

Ah the mysteries of chicken roosting
smile.png

I heard somewhere that chickens don't actually wrap their toes around a roost....they sit on their feet. The 2x6 I use does actually have the rounded off edges like a 2x4 would, but I don't ever really see them "gripping" much, except to shift position. When they're sitting on their roost, their feet are usually completely hidden by their bodies.

Quote:
Has the 2x6 in the photo has changed, or are you talking about the small rounded corner on lumber as purchased? I think that what folks do is to remove quite a bit of surface at the edges in order to create almost a half-moon shaped board. Not to the point that the rounded surface runs to a point, but whereas a 2x4 would normally be 1 3/4" on the narrow dimension, I get the idea they carve at least 1/2" or 3/4" off of that dimension.

Quote:
Use your gut instinct...I think they just need to be comfortable, warm and clean. I listen to the "rules" but have been finding a lot of success by listening to my own internal "red flags".

Adding a dropping pit depends on your set-up.

If you have a walk-in coop and can reach under the roosts like karmical, it is just as easy to take a pooper scooper and pick up the poop each morning...

In a smaller coop with limited people access, a dropping pit or board that can be removed from the outside makes sense.

Quote:
The way foys sells it yes you have to buy the door seperate from the door opener. I see that he also sells it without the light sensor and that is extra. Plus I have mine inside the coop instead of outside I guess that's what the cord for he has listed. The way my run is set up It would be hard to change the batteries if outside. The one I order from the uk came with everything but the timer I had to buy that extra. Mine came to about the same price as foys. I did find a custom cut site online that made me a custom size door for my pop door as mine is very large. The one that was sent was way to small. The custom cut place charged me $20 for a 20x20 piece of aluminum and it very strong and light weight. The batteries last about 4 months or so. I'm having a new coop made for my ameraucana's so the small door I didn't use will now come in handy. You can email the guy in the UK he is very helpful. I don't know if he has different size doors but you can make your own as long as it's under 7 lbs.

I have to laugh at myself....you're right Allen Wranch, I guess a droppings pit wouldn't really make anything any easier with my set-up. I'm gonna stick with scooping the poop. They leave me a nice, straight, organized row of it every AM.

And 3peeps, I think you make a great point with the following your gut instinct advice
wink.png
They do seem to be comfortable, warm and clean so why fix it if it ain't broke?
wink.png

Thanks everybody!

Back
Top Bottom