drowning in rain

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Rustywreck, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard a couple people make comments about turkeys being dumb enough to look up during a rain and drown themselves.
    Now, I'll agree that turkeys aren't always the smartest critters, but I find it hard to believe they are that dumb.
    I've raised turkeys for a few years and have never had one die from looking up during a rain.
    So, my question to everyone is: Have you ever actually seen or known of a turkey drowning by looking up during a rain?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I bet that was an old tale or joke. I don't have turkeys, but I watched a documentary on them, and they didn't come off as that stupid.

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have heard people claim that it happened to (insert family member, friend...), more than likely the turkeys were too young to be out in the rain and died from chill. To look at it from a realistic angle... have you ever seen a bird look up at something in the sky (such as a hawk circling way above)? They don't point their beak towards the sky, they turn their head sideways with one eye facing up. Not really likely they'll drown I think.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

x2

Mine do the same thing. Turkeys are NOT stupid and I wish people would stop saying that. :/

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  5. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks for the responses. Since nobody has claimed to have actually seen this happen I'm now willing to call "[email protected]#t" the next time I hear someone make the claim.
    As I mentioned, I've raised turkeys for a few years and never saw them do anything of the sort. Actually, I can't even imagine it to be possible.

6. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    if anything was that stupid it wouldn't live very long. must animals are only as smart as they need to be to survive in the environment they live in.

7. Agree

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

I agree 100%. :thumbsup

9. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    I have a cousin that may drown in the rain but my turkey, never.

10. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think Turkeys are stupid but I do think there curiosity and stubbornness is there biggest problem [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by