drowning in rain

Rustywreck

Songster
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
Solon Springs, Wisconsin
I have heard a couple people make comments about turkeys being dumb enough to look up during a rain and drown themselves.
Now, I'll agree that turkeys aren't always the smartest critters, but I find it hard to believe they are that dumb.
I've raised turkeys for a few years and have never had one die from looking up during a rain.
So, my question to everyone is: Have you ever actually seen or known of a turkey drowning by looking up during a rain?

I have heard people claim that it happened to (insert family member, friend...), more than likely the turkeys were too young to be out in the rain and died from chill. To look at it from a realistic angle... have you ever seen a bird look up at something in the sky (such as a hawk circling way above)? They don't point their beak towards the sky, they turn their head sideways with one eye facing up. Not really likely they'll drown I think.

I have heard people claim that it happened to (insert family member, friend...), more than likely the turkeys were too young to be out in the rain and died from chill.  To look at it from a realistic angle... have you ever seen a bird look up at something in the sky (such as a hawk circling way above)?  They don't point their beak towards the sky, they turn their head sideways with one eye facing up.  Not really likely they'll drown I think. 

x2

Mine do the same thing. Turkeys are NOT stupid and I wish people would stop saying that. :/

Last edited:
thanks for the responses. Since nobody has claimed to have actually seen this happen I'm now willing to call "bulls@#t" the next time I hear someone make the claim.
As I mentioned, I've raised turkeys for a few years and never saw them do anything of the sort. Actually, I can't even imagine it to be possible.

if anything was that stupid it wouldn't live very long. must animals are only as smart as they need to be to survive in the environment they live in.

x2
Mine do the same thing. Turkeys are NOT stupid and I wish people would stop saying that.
hmm.png

Agree

Back
Top Bottom