drowning question

I had a silky chick drown a few weeks ago. I had cut a plastic disposable cup down to about an inch big, and put water in there for the babies. And yes, I found her in there in the morning. It was horrible. My favorite one of course.
sad.png

I did it for about a week until it seemed they were more coordinated and not so wobbly. Also, they didn't seem to have that chick narcolepsy thing so bad by then. The bright colored stones did seem to attract them to the water.

I had 2 drown about 2 weeks ago. I use the small waterers...you know the ones...made for baby chicks!! I went in on day one and found one laying in the tray part...thought weird...why would it have just laid there and drown...it could have easily gotten up if it had fallen...thought it was a fluke...thought maybe there had been something else wrong with the silly thing and left the waterer as it was. Then later that evening...it happened again but this one was still alive...just laying in the water tray part (it later died from ingesting too much water) not even trying to get up!! NO idea!! So I didn't leave it to chance this time and bought the TINIEST waterer possible (in fact I had one before like this and tossed it because the tray was so small hardly any water got out and clogged SUPER easy). Lesson learned. Silly chicks!

I think this is more of a problem the more chicks you have in the brooder per waterer. I've seen chicks stand on top of other chicks to get to the waterer, and if it's a big 'un on a little 'un, then this could cause drowning. I always make sure I have plenty of waterer space (at least 2 inches of rim per chick) and never have a problem.

I didn't use rocks last time, and all were fine...but this time I have a chick with splay leg. I have rocks in to protect my little hobbled guy. It sure does give peace of mind though. I'll probably leave the rocks in until they really begin to feather out. It does slow down the water changing process though.

I thought my efforts were for not until this new batch of BA's. I found one sleeping with her beak resting on one of the marbles. Maybe it was a good idea. I will take them out in a few days their one week old tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom