1. Wild Boar Brewing

Wild Boar Brewing Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2018
    Italy
    One of my chickens has lost quite a few feather on its chest, but more worryingly walks around as if it is drunk. Its head moves around as if it trying to focus, but the best description I can give is its drunkenness state.

Any ideas at all?

Many thanks

2. Boonie Stomper

Boonie Stomper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2018
    DC, MD, VA region
    @Wild Boar Brewing , I must admit that more information would be helpful. Sans that, it is hard to not jokingly assume that you have a brewery and that somehow your chicken got into some fermented mash, got smashed, and in a state of confusion , began feather-plucking her chest... :lau:gig

Seriously , though- how long has she been this way.... is she eating and drinking and pooping, laying as before ? Has she got an empty or full crop at sunrise or lost a lot of weight?
    Any other things noticed with her state now?
    Photos or video can be helpful for us to help you sort this.
    And ..:welcome

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Reading. Must read more. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Have you researched wry neck yet?

biophiliac and Wild Boar Brewing like this.
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
  5. Boonie Stomper

Boonie Stomper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2018
    DC, MD, VA region
    What has you hen been eating/drinking?

6. Hyroler

Hyroler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2017
    Do you have breathalyzer to check blood alcohol.Last thing you need is chicken getting arrested for drunk in public.I'm not sure if they have Alcohol anonymous for chickens you might want to check into that or if it gets to serious there is always rehab.

7. Wild Boar Brewing

Wild Boar Brewing Just Hatched

Apr 17, 2018
    Italy
    Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Firstly, I do have a brewery, but my post about a drunk chicken wasn't supposed to be a wise crack, just the best description I could come up with. I do feed them on spent (beer) grains, but at that stage in the brewing process there is zero alcohol in the grains.

She has been like this for a 2 or 3 days, and hasn't been laying for about a week, it just seems as if she has no strength in her legs and they keep giving way. When hopping down from the coop this morning she just ended up on crumpled heap on the floor. I will read the links provided and search a little more and come back to you.

Thanks again everyone.

MatthewsHomestead and biophiliac like this.
  8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Good luck!

biophiliac likes this.
  9. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Is Marek's disease present in Italy? Is this a young bird?
    Symptoms of Marek's Disease in Birds Vision impairment, with a change in the eye colour showing a grey iris or irregular pupil Skin change in texture around the feather follicles, often appearing raised and bumpy Lameness and leg weakness without any visible signs of swelling or heat within the limb Partial or progressive paralysis of the limbs is a typical symptom of Marek’s disease The paralysis can also affect your chicken’s neck or wings causing your bird distress Loss of weight due to the inability to reach the water and their feed Difficulty in breathing Diarrhea ....unquote

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/mareks-disease

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by