Drunk Quails???

chickenwhisperer

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
Chicken Country, U S A
So my buddies father was telling me how his uncle used to catch/hunt quail back in the day . . .
I estimate the timeline of the story to be in the early 1950s, pops was born just before the war and says he was roughly 8-10 yrs old.

Basically, the guy would soak various grains in strong liquor and put it out to feed the local quails.
The quail would get drunk off the soaked grain and stumble around/pass out.
Then he would go and just pick them up and you know the rest.

These are Ca Valley quail, and I made the very long and colorful story short.

I could swear I remember reading something about this, and the source saying that for whatever reason, it wouldnt work.
There is no way I could ever find this info/source again, it was found during a night of heavy surfing.

So, what do ya think, is this just a story, or is it/could it be true?
Not that I want to contribute to the delinquency of quails, or turn them into raging alcoholics, but it does seem like it would be pretty funny to watch.

big_smile.png

If someone just happened to have leftover mash that was fermented from a previous run in their still the slop and some quail found it the results might prove interesting just a thought mind ya no personal experience with this
smile.png
when a still is operated not all the mash gets cooked always a little left over in the main cooking pot it is usually fed to the hogs . they seem to enjoy it a bit
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom