Drunk rooster? Help!

chelseymandel

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
When I let out my barred rock rooster this morning he was acting like he was drunk and couldn't get his balance. His head and tail were down and his crow was really weak. I lost some hens last yr exhibiting similar symptoms and I thought maybe it was mareks but upon further research I am not sure if that's what I am dealing with. My rooster is over a yr old and until recently he has been fine. My birds get ground oats once per day and then they free range for the rest of the day will full run on my 10 acre farm. Help!

What's his poop look like? Has he been wormed? Do they get regular feed? Are they vaccinated for anything? Do his eyes look normal? Any poisons around, pesticide or herbicide?
For now you could give him some Epsom salt mixed in water for electrolytes. Look at coccidiosis or bacterial infections as a possibility...
Hello from BC and good luck!

He us pooping regular he hasn't been wormed but I don't believehe has worms or anything of internal parasites, they are not vaccinated against mareks u actually didn't know that was something you do! I am surrounded by farm land so there is pesticide use around but my hens are fine! His eyes and comb is good... other than letting them free range and feeding oats once per day and kitchen scraps they don't get much else. I will look into other things now that I have somewhat of a direction thank you!

Back
Top Bottom