Drunk rooster?!

katelk

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
White Bluff, TN
My rooster is about 4 years old. I noticed he had been laying around more the last few days, but it's just gotten cold so I thought maybe the weather change had something to do with it. Just now I went out to feed them and he was sitting in the yard kinda leaned back on his butt with his tail down. He tried to get up and come for the treats and started stumbling left and right like he was drunk.
He was eager to eat, so I think he FEELS fine. I picked him up and could not feel or see any injuries. He fought being picked up so he is still feisty. But now he is back to sitting down leaned back and his heads kinda bobbing around like he has the spins or something. He is literally acting like a drunk person. What could be wrong?! Everyone else in the yard is fine.

Yes, roosters tend to not get enough nutrients, especially when they get older. I have to put my rooster in my garage, away from the hens, so he can get proper amounts of food.

Your rooster is in a weakend condition, you may want to put him in a hospital cage where you can get him back on his feet. If you have multiples roosters, you'll have to keep them all together during treatment. Or, he won't be able to go back into the coop!

It does sound like a nutritional deficiency. Give him a vitamin supplement with vitamin E and selenium. At least some NutriDrench might help. Foods highest in Selenium are tuna, sardines, beef and turkey. Do you feed him meats? Give him some tuna or meat today. Food takes longer to metabolize than a supplement.

If it isn't nutritional deficiency that is affecting his brain, then, it is disease. But, a vitamin deficiency can kill just as quickly as any disease.

Hope this helps...:)

God Bless!

Yes, roosters tend to not get enough nutrients, especially when they get older. I have to put my rooster in my garage, away from the hens, so he can get proper amounts of food.

Your rooster is in a weakend condition, you may want to put him in a hospital cage where you can get him back on his feet. If you have multiples roosters, you'll have to keep them all together during treatment. Or, he won't be able to go back into the coop!

It does sound like a nutritional deficiency. Give him a vitamin supplement with vitamin E and selenium. At least some NutriDrench might help. Foods highest in Selenium are tuna, sardines, beef and turkey. Do you feed him meats? Give him some tuna or meat today. Food takes longer to metabolize than a supplement.

If it isn't nutritional deficiency that is affecting his brain, then, it is disease. But, a vitamin deficiency can kill just as quickly as any disease.

God Bless!

Thanks! I have 3 roosters so I will have to wait till tonight to move them as they free range. Hopefully he will last that long! I'll go take him a can of tuna and feed him specifically. Thanks for the replies!

You can just take him out to another area till he is done eating and you give vitamin supplement. Then, return him to the flock.

Just keep an eye out for additional symptoms that may come up. Specifically leg paralysis.

I don't know if you use herbal treatments, but I have had great success with herbs.

I would also, give him Goldenseal and Echinacea to boost his immune system and kill anything else that could be compromising his ability to heal. Goldenseal is a powerful natural antibiotic, antifungal, anti viral, and anti inflammatory. Chickens respond very well to herbal treatment.

Let me know if you would like my recipe.

God Bless!

God Bless!
Sounds like my rooster too. I’m clueless about vitamins. Any specific brand vitamin or do they have specifically for chickens? How many and how often do you give the vitamin? I’m currently only giving my rooster a pinch of sardines as I was afraid too much would hurt. Do we continue with the vitamins until we see improvement?

You can just take him out to another area till he is done eating and you give vitamin supplement. Then, return him to the flock.

Just keep an eye out for additional symptoms that may come up. Specifically leg paralysis.

I don't know if you use herbal treatments, but I have had great success with herbs.

I would also, give him Goldenseal and Echinacea to boost his immune system and kill anything else that could be compromising his ability to heal. Goldenseal is a powerful natural antibiotic, antifungal, anti viral, and anti inflammatory. Chickens respond very well to herbal treatment.

Let me know if you would like my recipe.

God Bless!
I would like to try the recipe, please. But if it’s a plant, we don’t have those available here. Or, I could try Nutridrench? How soon would we expect to see results?

God Bless!
Is canned tuna okay?

Is canned tuna okay?

Hello checkingon,

Yes, Nutridrench is a good vitamin supplement. I will give my rooster one dose orally, 1.5 mL, with an oral feeding syringe. Once is usually enough, but you can give a second dose on day two, if he still seems weak.

Isolate the rooster if he is sick, then you can take better care of him. Of course, if you have multiple roosters, they must all remain together. Or, you will not be able to return the single rooster to the flock.

A Tablespoon of tuna, sardines, or other cooked meat, each day for three days will boost his strength. I also will add some cooked grains: pearl barley, oat groats, brown rice or wheat berries, and some diced fruit to improve appetite and energize. Feeding fresh greens like: Mustard, kale, broccoli, turnip tops, chard, collards, and cabbage are all good for keeping the hens and rooster healthy.

My rooster weighs 8.5 pounds, and he is very active on the property. Also, he is no Spring chicken, at 4 years of age. He is a good boy and deserves some tender loving care, just like my hens, when he is not feeling good.

You also, need to do a physical exam on your rooster when they are sick and at least once every 4-6 months.

My basic rooster check up:
  • Look at their poops, are they normal?
  • Feathers, are they shiny and even? Any lice on the wing feathers?
  • Look at his skin, are there any scabs, pimples, mites?
  • Check under his feet, any cuts, scabs or sores?
  • Feel under his breast and belly area, is it bald, any sores?
  • Leg scales should be smooth and not crusty.
  • The comb should be smooth and red. Are there any odd colors or growths?
  • The eyes should be bright and clear.
  • Check his vent. If it's caked up with poop, he'll need a soak. If you are breeding him, a clean vent is important. Also, a blocked vent in roosters and hens is not good! Also check for lice and mites here.

With the vitamin supplement and energy boosting diet, he should respond within 12 hours. If not, then he may be sick from something else.

Herbs are really good for keeping your chickens healthy, but the availability of certain herbs depends on what part of the world you live in. Herbs are used in all cultures around the world. Some herbs, like Turmeric, come from India, and yet, is imported worldwide.

So, it is just a matter of researching the herbs available to you, in your host country.

These are my thoughts based on my experience with roosters. Please consider other members advice, too.

God Bless to you and your rooster! :)

Hello checkingon,

Yes, Nutridrench is a good vitamin supplement. I will give my rooster one dose orally, 1.5 mL, with an oral feeding syringe. Once is usually enough, but you can give a second dose on day two, if he still seems weak.

Isolate the rooster if he is sick, then you can take better care of him. Of course, if you have multiple roosters, they must all remain together. Or, you will not be able to return the single rooster to the flock.

A Tablespoon of tuna, sardines, or other cooked meat, each day for three days will boost his strength. I also will add some cooked grains: pearl barley, oat groats, brown rice or wheat berries, and some diced fruit to improve appetite and energize. Feeding fresh greens like: Mustard, kale, broccoli, turnip tops, chard, collards, and cabbage are all good for keeping the hens and rooster healthy.

My rooster weighs 8.5 pounds, and he is very active on the property. Also, he is no Spring chicken, at 4 years of age. He is a good boy and deserves some tender loving care, just like my hens, when he is not feeling good.

You also, need to do a physical exam on your rooster when they are sick and at least once every 4-6 months.

My basic rooster check up:
  • Look at their poops, are they normal?
  • Feathers, are they shiny and even? Any lice on the wing feathers?
  • Look at his skin, are there any scabs, pimples, mites?
  • Check under his feet, any cuts, scabs or sores?
  • Feel under his breast and belly area, is it bald, any sores?
  • Leg scales should be smooth and not crusty.
  • The comb should be smooth and red. Are there any odd colors or growths?
  • The eyes should be bright and clear.
  • Check his vent. If it's caked up with poop, he'll need a soak. If you are breeding him, a clean vent is important. Also, a blocked vent in roosters and hens is not good! Also check for lice and mites here.

With the vitamin supplement and energy boosting diet, he should respond within 12 hours. If not, then he may be sick from something else.

Herbs are really good for keeping your chickens healthy, but the availability of certain herbs depends on what part of the world you live in. Herbs are used in all cultures around the world. Some herbs, like Turmeric, come from India, and yet, is imported worldwide.

So, it is just a matter of researching the herbs available to you, in your host country.

These are my thoughts based on my experience with roosters. Please consider other members advice, too.

God Bless to you and your rooster! :)
I will get on it right away! I just ordered the Nurti Drench but it's not going to come soon enough. In the meantime, I'll feed him the above mentioned. Why only three days of the fish/meat? Is it okay to give vegetables, grains, or fruit everyday, as a treat?

Back
Top Bottom