Rooster accident

ArChickens2020

Hatching
Feb 20, 2024
One of my roosters got hit with a stick yesterday while we were doing yard work.. didn't see him running by and I'm not sure if it was his head or what. But he stumbled and flopped around for a second. So we put him to bed and this morning he's having trouble with balance and holding his head and neck funny. Is there anything I can do for him besides giving it time? I feel so bad about it

Attachments

• 20240220_103850.jpg
    20240220_103850.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 26
Welcome to BYC! So sorry about your rooster.

He could have something like wry neck going on, hopefully its something that can be fixed though.
I would give him Vitamin E 400IU, 1/2 of a B Complex tablet, and eggs for selenium daily and see if that helps at all.
Is he able to eat and drink on his own?

When I was younger (8 ish) we had rooster that would make a career out of chasing us. One day I had enough, and knocked him out on accident. I was afraid my dad would see so I poured some water on him and he woke up just fine. He never did chase us again.
Not sure how helpful that story was just thought I'd share.

Welcome to BYC! So sorry about your rooster.

He could have something like wry neck going on, hopefully its something that can be fixed though.
I would give him Vitamin E 400IU, 1/2 of a B Complex tablet, and eggs for selenium daily and see if that helps at all.
Is he able to eat and drink on his own?
He's just standing in a kennel with his head hanging atm. If I dip his beak he will move his mouth. His eyes are open and clear. If I touch his wing he will try to look at what I'm doing but he mostly falls over and makes a muffled cry. I've offered eggs and water with nutri-drench

He's just standing in a kennel with his head hanging atm. If I dip his beak he will move his mouth. His eyes are open and clear. If I touch his wing he will try to look at what I'm doing but he mostly falls over and makes a muffled cry. I've offered eggs and water with nutri-drench
Everything you're doing is great, keep it up. Make sure he gets enough to eat and drink. Get those vitamins into him as soon as possible.

:welcome

Could you post a picture of your rooster? (One that shows how he's holding his head, etc.)

Everything you're doing is great, keep it up. Make sure he gets enough to eat and drink. Get those vitamins into him as soon as possible.
Thank you so much, ive attached a photo of him to the top question. I feel absolutely horrible about this. I'm hoping he will pull thru, its not the first time this specific rooster has been knocked by a stick as he's always under our feet when we work outside. But this has been the worst reaction by far. We have 12 big boys who free range together

Last edited:
Thank you so much, ive attached a photo of him. I feel absolutely horrible about this. I'm hoping he will pull thru, its not the first time this specific rooster has been knocked by a stick as he's always under our feet when we work outside. But this has been the worst reaction by far. We have 12 big boys who free range together

Back
Top Bottom