Balance problems

OFWGKTA

Chirping
Dec 27, 2023
My rooster butterscotch has been acting weird, i cant tell what is wrong! He has been loosing his balance recentley, like on the roost i would have to assist him with getting up and he would use his wings to balance, he fell off the second i took my eyes off him so i didnt put him up there again. I never got his age since i got him from a chicken swap, but i have a feeling hes getting older, i dont have any proof but thats just what im leaning towards, or hes sick. Whenever i would walk to him he would run and flap his wings but now hes just walking away. He stumbles when he goes down stairs, too. Ive just noticed this about 30 minutes ago so its recent. Here's a video, can anyone help?

Last edited:
It could be something neurological or a vitamin deficiency. Any chance he'd been in a bad fight recently?

You could try Vit E pills, like yours, 400 i.u. just pop it in his mouth once a day for a couple of weeks. Give him a little scrambled eggs with it as that's got the selenium in it he needs to absorb the E better. You could also give him about 1/4 of a Vit B complex as well.

Also, be sure he doesn't have mites as he could be anemic as well.

It could be something neurological or a vitamin deficiency. Any chance he'd been in a bad fight recently?

You could try Vit E pills, like yours, 400 i.u. just pop it in his mouth once a day for a couple of weeks. Give him a little scrambled eggs with it as that's got the selenium in it he needs to absorb the E better. You could also give him about 1/4 of a Vit B complex as well.

Also, be sure he doesn't have mites as he could be anemic as well.
He has never fought, but unfortunatley my flock has mites, i havent been able to treat it yet, i bought permifiufum whatever its called but my mom said i gotta wait til spring because spraying them would make them cold during winter

He has never fought, but unfortunatley my flock has mites, i havent been able to treat it yet, i bought permifiufum whatever its called but my mom said i gotta wait til spring because spraying them would make them cold during winter
Permethrin comes in powder. It's cheap too. You dust your chickens with it thoroughly and all over your coop. Wear a mask though or hold your breath lol. If you have cats that go in the coop, keep them out of there for a day or two as Permethrin is toxic to them if they get it in a cut or licked something with it on it.

You better do something now because if that's what's wrong with your rooster, he won't last much longer and the other ones will wind up the same too.

My rooster is dying i tried to make a post only like 2 people responded im not trying to guilt trip but since my ppst barely got any reconnisition (however u spell it idc no more) i didnt know what to do i tried to do what that person told me but it didnt work he has been having balance problems its gotten so bad he cant walk so i put him in a cage overnight so he didnt get trampled i came out today he was laying in a puddle of spilt water that i put in there and the leg he was laying on wasnt moving and shaking and one of his eyes was half shut i ran him under warm water and now he is with me drying in a hot room with a towel his comb is slowly turning black and he reaks nobody is home my parents are at work and my sister is asleep she doesnt care about my chickens so she obviously wouldnt know what to do PLEASE RESPOND

How long has he been like this? He hasn't had any other obvious health issues? Crop issues, cankers, worms, etc?

How long has he been like this? He hasn't had any other obvious health issues? Crop issues, cankers, worms,
A few months ago he woukd start standing there with his eyes closed and we thought he was just tired, he would do that until we came up to him and he'd start acting normal again, i was careless so i didnt know if he had any problems so thats my fault :( he started doing this on thursday, check my post that says balance problems and u can see a video i posted, he was walking normal but jyst cpuldnt jump on the roost or the water, it kept progressivlet got worse til he would tumble every time he wouldtry to get up, ive treated him for mites because thats what the person said, gave him vitamins but nothing is working

Edit someone responded not even 30 seconds ago saying he had mareks :(

My rooster is dying i tried to make a post only like 2 people responded im not trying to guilt trip but since my ppst barely got any reconnisition (however u spell it idc no more) i didnt know what to do i tried to do what that person told me but it didnt work he has been having balance problems its gotten so bad he cant walk so i put him in a cage overnight so he didnt get trampled i came out today he was laying in a puddle of spilt water that i put in there and the leg he was laying on wasnt moving and shaking and one of his eyes was half shut i ran him under warm water and now he is with me drying in a hot room with a towel his comb is slowly turning black and he reaks nobody is home my parents are at work and my sister is asleep she doesnt care about my chickens so she obviously wouldnt know what to do PLEASE RESPOND
This rooster?
1708791760964.png

Back
Top Bottom