My rooster got his foot stuck and is now refusing to use his legs

kinkajou34

Songster
Oct 9, 2020
My rooster got his leg stuck in some wire while we weren't home and decided to just lay there and let his leg freeze. We brought him in to warm it up so he could use it again and he is now refusing to use both of his legs and just flops anytime we stand him up. We did get him to move a little bit but he just hopped/flapped a short distance before flopping again. How do we fix this or help him move again?

My rooster got his leg stuck in some wire while we weren't home and decided to just lay there and let his leg freeze. We brought him in to warm it up so he could use it again and he is now refusing to use both of his legs and just flops anytime we stand him up. We did get him to move a little bit but he just hopped/flapped a short distance before flopping again. How do we fix this or help him move again?
He decided his frozen leg now works and the other one doesn't. He is still flopping around though mostly as a beeline for my lap before trying to sleep.

Sounds like he was trapped and is in shock.

He may have injured himself further and to exhaustion trying to get free from the wire. I hope you have fixed the area so other chickens don't get hung up.

Work on getting him warmed slowly. Get sugar water into him and let him rest.
Give him time and see how he does in the morning.

Could he have an injury you are unable to see? Sprained or broken leg? Chickens are really good when it comes to healing leg injuries. Even severe ones should be gone in two weeks.

On a positive note, once he heals I guarantee he will never try jumping the fence again or go near the wire.

Back
Top Bottom