Rooster wont stand after riding in a crate?

AppMtnChickens

Songster
Sep 19, 2019
I went and picked up a a new rooster yesterday, when I got him he was completely fine, being able to stand up and everything. He was in a cat crate for 2 hours on the ride home. The crate was kind of small because I was expecting him to be smaller, but he was by no means cramped. By the time I got home he won't stand up. He can use his legs to move (not forwards though). He can perch, move his toes. Just will sit and if he moves he moves backwards.

I went and picked up a a new rooster yesterday, when I got him he was completely fine, being able to stand up and everything. He was in a cat crate for 2 hours on the ride home. The crate was kind of small because I was expecting him to be smaller, but he was by no means cramped. By the time I got home he won't stand up. He can use his legs to move (not forwards though). He can perch, move his toes. Just will sit and if he moves he moves backwards.
Not sure why this is! Could he have something like wry neck or torticollis? I sure hope he feels better soon...

Can you get him drinking some fluids, either electrolytes, sugar water, in case he was dehydrated. He might have been confined before you got there and is weak. The other possibility is that he got hurt in transit, especially if he feel or got bumped. I would feed him up to his beak in a small tin or cup, with mushy wet chicken fee, egg, and fluids every 2 hours.

Nevermind everyone, he met his new ladies and he's magically better lol.
1000005195.jpg

Back
Top Bottom