Drunk walker cockerel?!?

BoogieBird

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Denver, CO
Newbie here!

I have a 11wk old BBS English Orpington cockerel that seemed to start out fine but now seems like he can't walk properly. He and his siblings were shipped live and all arrived safe, but a bit frantic so to speak. All the other chicks huddled on top of each other for a couple of weeks after that, crowding and laying on each other. Could he have dislocated his legs somehow?

His legs almost look knock kneed and no curled toes but they are abnormally long and almost look broken. One foot steps on the other and it looks like he trips. When standing, his legs shake like his body is too heavy for his legs to hold him.

He is eating, drinking fine and all the other chicks are perfectly fine too. He does lay down alot, as I imagine this 'disability' tuckers him out.

I am trying to figure out if he is sick or just special needs. Any ideas? :/

Could you post a picture of him standing? He may possibly have a bone deformity or another problem caused by vitamin or mineral deficiency. Was he shipped to you as a newly hatched chick from the hatchery or later from a breeder?

Here is a video I just got. I was under the impression the breeder sent me an older chick, 10d or so.

I'm not an expert on bone deformities, but I would guess that this is tibial dyschondroplasia or rickets (vitamin D deficiency.) Look at this link pages 19 and 20 for pictures: http://nhjy.hzau.edu.cn/kech/synkx/dong/2bao/Bone disorders in poultry.pdf and then take a look at the MercksManuel excerpt below which includes rotated tibia:

Rotational (Torsional) and Angular (Valgus/Varus) Deformity

These deformities often are seen as distinct flock problems. Bones all exhibit some degree or combination of lateral, medial, anterior, or posterior bend. They also show some torsion (rotation) about their long axis. The most common abnormalities are seen in the distal limb and involve lateral or medial deviation and/or external rotation. Deformity may be a consequence of rickets at a younger age (see below). Poor mineralization of the bone, as in rickets, increases the ease of deformation of the bone and therefore the incidence and severity of deformities. Rickets may be associated with nutritional deficiencies, enteric disease, or malabsorption. In breeds that are predisposed to deformities, the incidence may be reduced by slowing growth rate via feed restriction or lighting programs. Bone deformities also be due to chondrodystrophy due to B vitamin or trace mineral deficiencies. Rotated tibia has been a major problem in turkeys and a minor problem in Leghorns and guinea fowl.
Spondylopathies

Vertebral deformities and/or displacements (spondylopathies) are common in thoracic vertabrae, particularly the fifth or free thoracic vertabrae. Spondylolisthesis is the most common deformity, but incidence is low in most flocks of broiler chickens. It causes posterior paralysis due to spinal cord compression.
Dyschondroplasia

Dyschondroplastic lesions are masses of avascular cartilage extending from the growth plate into the metaphysis and are attributed to the failure of chondrocytes to differentiate. This results in a focal thickening of the growth plate in the proximal tibiotarsus (tibial dyschondroplasia) or sometimes the proximal tarsometatarsus. The lesion in the proximal tibiotarsus is often associated with anterior bowing of the tibiotarsus and sometimes fractures below the plug of cartilage. Factors shown to influence the incidence and severity of dyschondroplasia include genetic selection, calcium:phosphorus ratios in feed, metabolic acidosis through excess chloride in feed, acid/base balance, and mycotoxins. In a flock of modern broilers, the cause may be marginal inadequacies in dietary calcium or a calcium:phosphorus imbalance.
Rickets

Rickets develops in growing birds due to deficiency of calcium or phosphorus (see Calcium and Phosphorus Imbalances) or insufficient vitamin D (see Vitamin D Deficiency). Malabsorption can also cause a mineral deficiency. In rickets, a failure of bone mineralization leads to flexibility of long bones. Subclinical rickets with only marginal thickening of the growth plates is fairly common and often associated with poor performance of broiler chickens. Bone ashing and estimates of calcium and phosphorus content combined with bone pathology are useful diagnostic tools. Bacterial infections are common in bones with rickets.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks! After a little bit of reading I believe he has the Dyschondroplasia but am trying to supplement the D3 just in case. I really appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom