dry cat food.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesduckies, Jun 7, 2010.

1. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    lol. okay so i'm glad my duckies aren't the only freakos out there. my mom was like they are going to start purring and meowing.

after i went in the pen and my drake ran after me several times and bit my arm giving me a welt AND took some skin off another part, no one got their nightly treat. he NEVER does that to me. the only time he nibbles on me is when i am making a repair and he wants me to stop at pet him. he was a bad boy! i had to mount him and show him who is boss! at one point he trapped me in. i was only trying to reach for the food cuz my mom filled up their food and he like wanted her gone and wouldn't let me near the gate. what a brat he was. he's usually soo sweet!

2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I haven't fed my ducks cat food yet, going to give it a whirl tomorrow and see what they think of it :)

Michelle

3. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:ohhh let me know what they think!

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I mix a natural cat food that has several different flavors into their feed for them... They LOVE it. A little is okay for ducks as a treat.

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas

I sure will :)

By the way, do you remember my Pekin Hen hatched out a 'scovy duckling last month? Well the neighbor I hatched it for said I can keep the baby!!! I told my husband all the great points about scovies that you told me and he finally caved in and said I could have one . I'm one happy happy duck lover! I named the duckling Scooter :)

Michelle

6. lovesduckies

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room

I sure will :)

By the way, do you remember my Pekin Hen hatched out a 'scovy duckling last month? Well the neighbor I hatched it for said I can keep the baby!!! I told my husband all the great points about scovies that you told me and he finally caved in and said I could have one . I'm one happy happy duck lover! I named the duckling Scooter :)

Michelle

i do remember!!! omg that is soooo wonderful!!!!!! congrats!!!!! how old is baby scooter now??? i'm glad i was able to help!! my little babies will be 4 weeks on thursday. my rouen is getting blood feathers on it's wings and someone's voice is changing. and little alicia the scovy is getting tail feathers in!

7. oriole

oriole Chirping

Jun 7, 2010
    Mine will eat it but not the brown pieces, which I think are the beef flavor.

8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Mine go nuts for it, especially my hens. It seems to really help with the laying. I can tell you that we used dry cat and dog food as a staple for almost all our carnivorous species when I was wildlife rehabillitator. We fed other things too but the dry food was a staple base of the diet for almost every critter except our raptors. Somestimes you just can't argue with what the ducks are telling you...they would be eating small fish, crawdads and lots of insects in the wild, so the dry cat food is likely what we have available that is closest to what they would naturally seek, other than live fish or having them in a pond.

9. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:Scooter is now 24 days old and is doing great :) I can't believe your's are almost 4 weeks old, seems like they were born yesterday! My mallard girls are getting blood feathers now too and itty bitty quacks starting to come out LOL I posted some new photos of Scooter yesterday,Scooter Pics Thread

We need to see some updated photos of your little darlings :)

Michelle

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    .they would be eating small fish, crawdads and lots of insects in the wild, so the dry cat food is likely what we have available that is closest to what they would naturally seek, other than live fish or having them in a pond.

Exactly!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: