Dry eggs?

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
Received eggs that were smooth, firm, one had odd blemishes, but the shells were good. So they've been in for 2 days, I am manually turning bc I have them upright in crates. The one w/odd blemishes I found a crack in when turning today, so pitched.
So, the shells were firm, smooth. Now they seem thin, gritty,fragile. I've received eggs like that before, & knew they hadn't received adequate calcium. But they were that way on delivery. These didn't arrive that way.
Is it possible they lost water in transit and incubator over did it? Should I increase humidity?

Received eggs that were smooth, firm, one had odd blemishes, but the shells were good. So they've been in for 2 days, I am manually turning bc I have them upright in crates. The one w/odd blemishes I found a crack in when turning today, so pitched.
So, the shells were firm, smooth. Now they seem thin, gritty,fragile. I've received eggs like that before, & knew they hadn't received adequate calcium. But they were that way on delivery. These didn't arrive that way.
Is it possible they lost water in transit and incubator over did it? Should I increase humidity?
Hmmm, I don’t know! I am bit wire I recognize the change in eggshell consistency that your taking about. Mine do change in color over time. I have been incubating with a little more water recently, about 40% humidity instead of dry…

Hmmm, I don’t know! I am bit wire I recognize the change in eggshell consistency that your taking about. Mine do change in color over time. I have been incubating with a little more water recently, about 40% humidity instead of dry…
That's what I've done as well. Trying not to touch them, just tipping the egg crates from one side to the other.

I use a pair of nitrile gloves that I take off and on and leave by the incubator. Best of luck!!!
Many people are fastidious about washing their hands and touching the eggs. I don't wash the eggs. I don't normally wash my hands before touching them.

But once they are set in the incubator, I don't touch them again (auto turner) until lockdown at which time I candle them and move them to the hatcher.

Many people are fastidious about washing their hands and touching the eggs. I don't wash the eggs. I don't normally wash my hands before touching them.

But once they are set in the incubator, I don't touch them again (auto turner) until lockdown at which time I candle them and move them to the hatcher.
I didn't wash eggs, do wash my hands. Given fragility & one egg already cracking, I have auto turn unplugged and keeping them in the crates. Given you don't touch, & probably don't deal w/shipped eggs you probably haven't noticed/had eggs become brittle after placement? As mentioned, I received eggs this way before, assumed calcium deprived or old hen. But these weren't like this until after a day in incubator.

I didn't wash eggs, do wash my hands. Given fragility & one egg already cracking, I have auto turn unplugged and keeping them in the crates. Given you don't touch, & probably don't deal w/shipped eggs you probably haven't noticed/had eggs become brittle after placement? As mentioned, I received eggs this way before, assumed calcium deprived or old hen. But these weren't like this until after a day in incubator.
I have done shipped eggs in the past without any issues other than only about a 60% hatch rate for shipped guinea eggs.

I have one guinea hen whose eggs can be fragile or even soft shelled. I feed all flock which does not have the calciu, they need for proper egg laying. I provide oyster shell free choice but she refuses to eat it out of the feeder. When I find a soft shelled egg, I dump a handful of the oyster shell on the ground. This solves her problem for at least a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom