Dry feet

gailburt

Chirping
8 Years
May 3, 2015
My Muscovy, Maisie, has been broody for weeks, but her pal (another Muscovy) has been fine. During this time Maisie has become deranged. She practically refuses to get in the water, but behaves as though she is bathing - she ruffles, splashes, preens, but doesn't get into the water. She will sometimes grab items such as straw or pine shavings and use it as a sort of comb, preening with that.

But today, she started picking at her foot. When we examined her, we saw that her skin was really dry. She picked one spot raw, so we put some Neosporin on it. We also used some moisturizing lotion on her feet. Will it hurt her? Is there anything you guys can suggest to help relieve her dryness (or her weirdness)? We don't allow her to sit on nests, block her from nest boxes, don't give her any kind of bedding, trying to break her out of the broody. She just makes herself a nest In the dirt. She is very determined. But I'm most concerned about her feet. Any suggestions? I'm a newbie, so anything is helpful. Thanks.

I'm NOT the health expert, so I hope others reply as well, but couldn't you make her get in the water? It might help.

@gailburt Welcome to BYC... Def get her in water. she may not like it but then again she may. I know exactly what your talking about these Muscovy's when broody can get very weird. So how long has she been broody i have one that started in April and I finally got to to give up in First part of Oct. I am not kidding she had about a 2 week break in between. She didn't have eggs but did have a stall with shavings. only because that is where she sleeps too They are just nuts. I'd rub coconut oil all over her feet this is so good for them and it can help relieve the dryness and heal any place that is raw. I dig out some coconut oil with a spoon then rub it in my hand to melt it then rub it in. I use it on their knobs too when they get frost bite in winter. [Flesh on their faces mainly my drake]

Coconut oil - perfect! I'm going to do that tomorrow! I have been actually capturing and bathing her, I didn't want her oil gland to get clogged.

Coconut oil - perfect! I'm going to do that tomorrow! I have been actually capturing and bathing her, I didn't want her oil gland to get clogged.
Let us know how she is doing.
thumbsup.gif
Just don't use any soap on her just plain ole water.

Maisie has recovered beautifully! She is molting now, but the new feathers coming in look beautiful! Thank you so much for your help - I now keep a little jar of coconut oil out by the coop!

Maisie has recovered beautifully! She is molting now, but the new feathers coming in look beautiful! Thank you so much for your help - I now keep a little jar of coconut oil out by the coop!
Good for you I love coconut oil I use it on me too. We all eat it even my dogs. So glad to hear Maisie is all recovered now. Pics when you can..

Back
Top Bottom