Dry Hatching Cortunix Quails

Pics
Hatch #4 is a disaster. I thought it couldn't get worse than 3. Day 8 and 10. Started with 34 eggs, cracked opened 18 and then 9. Bringing it down to 7. Then when i was candling another I cracked it open by accident, and then i decided to cut it open to investigate. At first, I felt I was all good cause yolk came out first. Then a small fetus with an early beak dropped out. It was dead in the shell anyway as no blood came out.

Is this where it should have been at on day 11?? it looked like it had died around day 6-8.
embryo.jpg

The silver color is incomplete dominant. So silver parents can have non-silver offspring but might have silver grandchildren. If you are trying to keep your colors separate you will need to track the family tree of your birds so you don't end up mixing colors.

The silver color is incomplete dominant. So silver parents can have non-silver offspring but might have silver grandchildren. If you are trying to keep your colors separate you will need to track the family tree of your birds so you don't end up mixing colors.

Im not sure but not just the colour. But the size of this quail chick is huge. Its like 3 weeks and twice the size of some of the other ones, or my last batch at the same age.

Im not sure but not just the colour. But the size of this quail chick is huge. Its like 3 weeks and twice the size of some of the other ones, or my last batch at the same age.
Are you weighing or just going by visual? I've had birds that looked huge but weighed less than the ones that looked smaller. I hope this guy/gal? does turn out to be a jumbo and passes on those genetics. Most of the silvers I have are smaller, but they sure are pretty.

ok will take pic tom. just weighed.

3 weeks of age
Silver quail, possible Jumbo = 140 grams
Other quail of same age = 100 grams

My biggest Adult Females from last batch = 295 and 290 grams fully grown.
I would definitely call that one a jumbo, lol. The notes I have been trying to go by say jumbos should be 120-160 grams at 3 weeks, 200 grams at 4 weeks, 240 grams at 5 weeks, and 280 grams at 6 weeks.

I weighed the biggest 2 of the 5 again

Silver? - the largest one-shot up to 158 grams
Then my next largest one (not pictured) a Rosetta quail is the second largest at 135 grams same age.

As you can see he/she too young to identify gender is a very big bird already compared to his hatch mate.

The smallest of my adult quails is around 170-180 grams in the quail pen.

View attachment 1498886 View attachment 1498887 View attachment 1498889 View attachment 1498890
Coloring looks like a silver pharoah, where silver color replaced the normal brown of the traditional pharoah. Should be able to sex it by chest feathers IF it doesn't have pied/tux mixed in, causing white breast feathers.

yes it has some brown feathers mixed in with silver feathers. Looking at the 2nd pic. I have a hunch it might be a girl. I will try and take a clearer shot of the chest. Is it possible its gender can be determined at 3 weeks.
I will see if my girls and rooster will be cooperative and let me take some pictures tonight for you to compare with. My silver pharoah are from eggs I got from Myshire Farms, although I have one or two from my own eggs.

Back
Top Bottom