Dry hatching!!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by momofsamjontori, Nov 8, 2008.

1. momofsamjontori

momofsamjontori Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    In my incubator I have the humidity at 65% and the temp at 100.00 and the chicks are not drying and the ones hatching keep having a sac like thing coming out of them and then dying - please help me - I can't have another baby die!!

2. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't help as my first batch is still incubating. But here's a bump. Hopefully someone with more experience will know what to do. Good luck. [​IMG] Maybe post it under emergencies?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't think it is a problem with it being dry. It sounds more like it is too wet, causing the chick to hatc htoo fast, before absorbing the yolk sac completely.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Especially with the chicks taking a while to dry. They will take longer to dry in the incubator.

Have you callibrated your hygrometer?

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    What day are they hatching on (is today day 21?)

How much of the sac is still hanging ??

Could you post a pic of it ??

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  6. momofsamjontori

momofsamjontori Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    They are hatching day 22 - there is a big sac and some of them are not even making it out.

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    What was your hum at day 1-18 ?

8. The Farmers Wife

The Farmers Wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Arkansas
    It sounds to me like your temperature may be too high.... have you double checked your temperature with a back up?......They sound like they are hatching too soon....is this day 21?......There should be several hours pass between pip and hatch...giving them time to absorb their yolk sack.............have you noticed the time it is taking them?..................and it can take them a while to dry as well...if a few hours have gone by and they still have not dried then I would suggest removing your wicks if you have any, possibly opening up a vent....just opening the door will allow a huge drop in humidity...... hope the rest do better............ so sad~ [​IMG]

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  10. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    when my chicks are hatching I take them out if they are not drying off, and put them in a small area under a light to keep them warm, they dry off in no time at all, as for the other problem, It does sound like they are hatching too soon.
    if you take them out you have to be quick to keep the heat and humidity in the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by