Dry hatching questions

If you humidity is high the one concern would be if the air cell is getting big enough. Just keep and eye on that. You can find drawings of what that would look like when candling. As I understand too humid can make is so the air cell is not getting big enough. Someone here should correct me if I am not saying it correctly. LOL. I have two eggs we are waiting on now. The others do not seem to be doing anything. If we accomplish to get 8 to hatch we would have 60%. I was hoping for a minimum of 9. Time will tell.
Yeah I already decided to candle on day 4 to see what I could. I grabbed some eggs randomly just to check growth and it seems they all have the blood vessels and look like spiders. The air cells looked a bit sideways on each egg but a decent enough size. I saw the drawings and I think by day 7 they should match with the drawings. I set my AC lower and the Govee inside the incubator is between 32% and 34%. It does bounce up to 35% sometimes.

I have 3 hens inside in a dog crate. It's so hot it's horrible. My poor Wyandottes. I need to find a home for these 2 sweet girls that can keep them pampered in the AC. I bring them inside when I get home from work. It's just not enough.

I feel like I probably will not add water to this hatch but instead maybe just close my AC vent in the bathroom and let the humidity rise.

Keep me posted on how it goes. As far as heat we have large shade trees over our current hoop coop. We also have hardware cloth for the back window and sides so loads of air. We decided against putting in a solid decider between the run and roost so air is plenty. Our neighbor down the road only have an inclosure make of netting and have a pretty healthy flock.

Keep me posted on how it goes. As far as heat we have large shade trees over our current hoop coop. We also have hardware cloth for the back window and sides so loads of air. We decided against putting in a solid decider between the run and roost so air is plenty. Our neighbor down the road only have an inclosure make of netting and have a pretty healthy flock.
I wish I had large trees! I planted so many fruit trees but they are still small. This house was only built 2 years ago. We are right off the coast here so we get a nice breeze but the humidity is just stifling for these poor Wyandottes. I planted some more banana trees to help block the sun on the coop side. I hope that helps by late summer. My poor Wyandottes. I need to find them a home with someone up north maybe.

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_181314983_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240514_181314983_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240514_181349621_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240514_181349621_HDR.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 6
Have you tried a baby pool for the Wyandottes? I have heard that many will use one. Maybe that would be good for them. A mister sometimes works if the birds do not mind getting wet. Our chicken would run out in the rain.

I do have the little pools and I tried but they were not too thrilled with it. They would stand on the edge and drink the water lol!! I haven't tried a mister yet. They do love when I take the hose and wet the ground. They walk in it. Lol They love frozen fruit too.

I have heard frozen fruit is good for cooling chickens down. We are up to 8 chicks now. One I had to help. It did completely absorb the blood vessels and yolk but I think it was rolled around a little too much by the other chicks. I carefully removed the top of it’s shell and it took it from there.. Another zipped by itself and is drying. One has a good start in its hole but not much more. We will keep an eye on it.

I have heard frozen fruit is good for cooling chickens down. We are up to 8 chicks now. One I had to help. It did completely absorb the blood vessels and yolk but I think it was rolled around a little too much by the other chicks. I carefully removed the top of it’s shell and it took it from there.. Another zipped by itself and is drying. One has a good start in its hole but not much more. We will keep an eye on it.
This is wonderful!!! Glad you were able to help. You may need to help that second chick too. I have a newbie air cell question. It's hard for me to hold the egg and get a good picture but I tried. Is it normal to have an air cell kind of sideways to the fat end? Like it's tilted kind of sideways up the shell? This is 5 days. I know when it's closer to hatch they get kind of tilted. Wasn't sure if they do now in the early days.

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_194012679.jpg
    IMG_20240514_194012679.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240514_194030974.jpg
    IMG_20240514_194030974.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 5
This is wonderful!!! Glad you were able to help. You may need to help that second chick too. I have a newbie air cell question. It's hard for me to hold the egg and get a good picture but I tried. Is it normal to have an air cell kind of sideways to the fat end? Like it's tilted kind of sideways up the shell? This is 5 days. I know when it's closer to hatch they get kind of tilted. Wasn't sure if they do now in the early days.

That is normal. I have always even the air cells this way. Looks good.

It may be the heart beat first.

The chick I thought would not make it as it has blood come from the pip has hatched in its own. Still have one egg that has a good side pip but still waiting to see if it goes any further. 9 chicks so far. One looks a little week though.

Back
Top Bottom