Dry Incubation Help in a Dickey!

Hope0491

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
VA/PA
Hey Everyone!

I keep reading so many great things about dry incubation.

I just bought myself a Dickey and have it all set up.
From what I've read - most dry incubation hatches are used in the styrofoam incubators. I read an article on dry incubation in a styrofoam and they said not to add any water until lockdown - can I do that with a wooden cabinet bator? Why or why not? :)

Any experience with hatching in a Dickey would be MUCH appreciated!!

Btw - I'm hatching silkie eggs. I am going to put them in tomorrow.

Thank you so much!

Dry incubation is really keeping the humidity around 20-30 the first 18 days, then upping humidity up to 65-70. I only dry incubate and I will say this winter I had to add a tb of water every other day for the first 18 days. Of course this was all done in a styrofoam bator so I will bump your thread to see if there is any wood bator hatchers that could lend a hand
big_smile.png

Happy Hatching!

I have both a Dickeys incubator and a Dickeys hatcher running 24-7 and I put a new batch of eggs in every friday. I keep the humidity in the incubator at 25% and the hatcher at 55%. Very important to remember before you open the incubator, rotate the trays to level then turn off the switch for the fan. Open the door, do what your going to do then close the door, turn on the switch and move the toggle switch back to automatic.

Also if your Dickeys is new you should run it for 1 week with nothing in it and the vents wide open, first to get rid of the chemical air that will be circulating from the finishes he puts on it. I didn't do that when I first got mine and my eyes watered every time I opened the door. Can't imagine its great for chicks either.

Lanae

Thanks for your experience and for the Bump! :)

Dry incubation is really keeping the humidity around 20-30 the first 18 days, then upping humidity up to 65-70. I only dry incubate and I will say this winter I had to add a tb of water every other day for the first 18 days. Of course this was all done in a styrofoam bator so I will bump your thread to see if there is any wood bator hatchers that could lend a hand
big_smile.png

Happy Hatching!

Lanae - Thank you so much for your reply! This was very helpful! :)

I did a lot of research and Mr Dickey recommends that you keep it at 53-55% humidity the entire hatch and then spray the eggs that are about to hatch twice daily with warm water. I thought I would try it one hatch and see what happens. I would like to try a dry incubation as well to compare results.

Thanks for the tip about opening the incubator! That's very helpful.

Also, I've had it running since Sunday! It took me until now to tweak everything exactly how I wanted it. haha..

I had some trouble with the wafer thermostat though - I hope that doesn't cause an issue. I couldn't get it past 100 F with the wafer. After that temp it wouldn't raise any higher??????.... so I just adjusted the electronic and I'm gonna call Mr. Dickey on Monday.

I have both a Dickeys incubator and a Dickeys hatcher running 24-7 and I put a new batch of eggs in every friday. I keep the humidity in the incubator at 25% and the hatcher at 55%. Very important to remember before you open the incubator, rotate the trays to level then turn off the switch for the fan. Open the door, do what your going to do then close the door, turn on the switch and move the toggle switch back to automatic.

Also if your Dickeys is new you should run it for 1 week with nothing in it and the vents wide open, first to get rid of the chemical air that will be circulating from the finishes he puts on it. I didn't do that when I first got mine and my eyes watered every time I opened the door. Can't imagine its great for chicks either.

Lanae

My husband is always telling me that I get my cart befor my horse because I just jump into things without reading directions. So I didn't put my wafer thermostat in before I started my incubator and put my first batch of eggs in, by then it was too late. You should have heard the catch in Mr. Dickeys voice when I asked him what the little round thingy was after I told him my incubator was up and running. It was funny.

I learned from someone else about turning the incubator off everytime you open it. It keeps the warm air from blowing out. I have a mental check list I chant as I am getting ready to open the incubator. Tray level, power off, door open, tray out, tray pushed all the way in (important it will bind and not turn if the tray isn't in its correct position, yes learned the hard way)door closed, power on, tray turner automatic back on. I don't know how many times I have forgotten one of those. Sheesh!

I didn't know the tip about misting eggs that are getting ready to hatch, I will try that some time. Thank You.

Lanae

Lanae - Yeah, I understand! My hubby put my bator together while I was gone and he knows nothing about that stuff so when I got home and he handed it to me and asked what it was - I just laughed. hahaha... But! I got my wafer fixed today!!!! I got it all situated this morning and then was able to put my eggs in - now I don't have to worry about it being wrong. I feel so much better. I just LOOOOVE my incubator! It's amazing how you just set it and it regulates everything perfectly - thank goodness I got the automatic humidity pump :) It's a life saver!!

Yeah, that's a great tip about opening the bator!! I had to do that today already and it sure does help!! :)

Good luck hatching!!!
Lacey

My husband is always telling me that I get my cart befor my horse because I just jump into things without reading directions. So I didn't put my wafer thermostat in before I started my incubator and put my first batch of eggs in, by then it was too late. You should have heard the catch in Mr. Dickeys voice when I asked him what the little round thingy was after I told him my incubator was up and running. It was funny.

I learned from someone else about turning the incubator off everytime you open it. It keeps the warm air from blowing out. I have a mental check list I chant as I am getting ready to open the incubator. Tray level, power off, door open, tray out, tray pushed all the way in (important it will bind and not turn if the tray isn't in its correct position, yes learned the hard way)door closed, power on, tray turner automatic back on. I don't know how many times I have forgotten one of those. Sheesh!

I didn't know the tip about misting eggs that are getting ready to hatch, I will try that some time. Thank You.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom