Dry skin

Theresa61

Hatching
May 23, 2016
My hens all have dried white flakes. I don't see any signs of lice. I believe it's just dry skin but I am new to raising chickens. Is there something I should give them or do for them? They all are between 4 to 5 months old. TIA

Welcome to BYC. What type of feed are you giving them? A lack of vitamins or fatty acids could cause dry skin, as well as no drinking enough water. If you don't have too many hens, you might try switching to a feed with omega 3 fatty acids, or adding a fish oil capsule cut open to their feed. Dry skin can cause flaking, and you will especially notice flaky skin when they are molting. Lice eggs are pretty easy to spot at the base of feathers as seen below:

Single-feather-with-lice-egg-sac-940x626.jpg

Last edited:
Eggcessive, I am using Nutrena Country Feed later 16% crumble.Just add Black Oil Sunflower seeds and millworms to their diet. I only have 6 but they have access all day to their crumble. Can I add fishL oil to their water supplies. TIA

It is probably not water soluble, and would float. I would open a capsule or two onto their food or a treat. Stir it a little to distribute it. Are they anywhere close to their once a year molt? A few of mine are starting with pale combs and feathers appearing in the coop.

Eggscessive no they are 4 to 5 months old. I will try putting fish oil on treats. Thanks for help. I am new to this and just want make sure I am not doing anything wrong here.

Back
Top Bottom