Drying out duck yard?

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hey everyone! For the past 2 days it's been raining pretty heavily here. Usually the water drains off no problem, but with the back to back rain it hasn't had a chance to.

The whole duck yard is currently very muddy and disgusting. The ducks are absolutely loving it of course, but I'd like to dry it out so they don't get any problems with their feet.

I usually use Aspen chips and just lay it out and let it soak up the mud. I wanted to see if there's a better alternative and if anyone had any ideas I haven't tried. Thanks!

Depending on availability in your area, you can use Gravel to make paths or swaths. That way the ducks can be up out of the mud if they want to. 2 in gravel is what I would suggest but this is a permanent change to your yard and grass won't grow for years to come where you put gravel. Around here you can get 20 ton dump truck loads of gravel delivered.

1 inch gravel could be better on their feet I suppose.

Last edited:
Depending on availability in your area, you can use Gravel to make paths or swaths. That way the ducks can be up out of the mud if they want to. 2 in gravel is what I would suggest but this is a permanent change to your yard and grass won't grow for years to come where you put gravel. Around here you can get 20 ton dump truck loads of gravel delivered.
Gravel has become a nightmare for me. I would suggest sand because it can be worked into the soil later if needed much easier. Gravel is a PITA to remove, especially once it gets into the dirt. I'm raising my pond a bit this year and going to be filling the run around the pond with straw, leaves, wood shavings, wood chips etc. All of which I will be able to pitch out into the compost pile later and start new. I'm thinking each Fall there will be a duck pen deep cleaning just in time to refill with leaves and cheap straw (I hunt for decorative baked after Halloween and Thanksgiving that people just throw away here in suburbia.

Gravel is also not a good idea, because it is hard, and sharp on there feet which causes bumble foot. Even a few pieces of gravel in a soft run can cause bumble foot. Then even if you bury it, a few pieces always come up to the surface. Probably not the best choice for the duck run.
Would sand cause the same kind of problems? Or is it safe to use? And is there any danger if they eat a lot of it? (Since ducks love to root around in the dirt).

Would sand cause the same kind of problems? Or is it safe to use? And is there any danger if they eat a lot of it? (Since ducks love to root around in the dirt).
Smooth sand should not cause bumble foot. Careful with hot summer days and sand as it child got hot. Some shade or water will keep it cool though. As for then eating it, that shouldn't be a make problem. It will just be added grit for them. Ducks naturally use grit to "chew" there good after swallowing. It's normally small pieces of rough gravel. That turns into sand and passes through their digestive system regularly from the grinding action.

Have you considered covering the muddy area with layers of straw?
My backyard is a hill so I use leaf litter, branches, and a lot straw to maintain the hill. It keeps the hill from being muddy also.
I have, I was considering it yesterday when I cleaned out the pen. But the straw/hay I use in the main hutch gets pretty nasty after about 4-5 days so I think it would just lead to a very muddy yard with big clumps of straw in it 😂.

The pains of living in Florida. I swear nothing in this state is ever dry.

Keeping ducks in Florida is awful - best thing I can tell you to do is not leave any open sources of water for them in or uphill from the run. I used river rocks the last few years for drainage, but they also have fake grass/astroturf they can be on without the rocks. I had an awesome system until 2 years later my backyard hill has changed slope and now the run is more of a pit than raised the way it was designed. GAH. Anyway giving them only enough water to get their heads in is mandatory. My ducks have a bucket with a lid cut out for them to dabble/clean nares and then they have horizontal nipple waterer for fresh drinking water.

THe other thing is the amount of ducks to the sq footage... I can only comfortably keep 3 in 100ft (10x10) enclosure. I have 6 currently and I'm cleaning and scraping poop constantly, it stinks. yuck. When I have 3 I can clean just once a day in 3-5 minutes for everything. So nice.

PS- 1 drake and 2 female Welsh Harlequin available. LOL

Back
Top Bottom