Dual breed vs Broilers

Quote:
Caponizing is a daunting prospect for a lot of people, even if they've been raising meat birds for years! You really think that's the place to start, for a person getting their very first meat birds?

I don't see a problem with listing all the options. I didn't think that was frowned upon here.

If you could find someone in the area to caponize your birds for you, I could envison this:

- Each spring you order a straight-run batch of dual-purpose birds.
- The males are caponized by your friendly local caponizing expert (wishful thinking here)
- Once your pullets begin laying, you can process your hens from the year before.
- Capons can be processed whenever.

Last edited:
Knowing your options is always good.
smile.png

Quote:
Caponizing is a daunting prospect for a lot of people, even if they've been raising meat birds for years! You really think that's the place to start, for a person getting their very first meat birds?

I don't see a problem with listing all the options. I didn't think that was frowned upon here.

If you could find someone in the area to caponize your birds for you, I could envison this:

- Each spring you order a straight-run batch of dual-purpose birds.
- The males are caponized by your friendly local caponizing expert (wishful thinking here)
- Once your pullets begin laying, you can process your hens from the year before.
- Capons can be processed whenever.

The large breed roo 100 packs cost about $35. That would seem to be a fairly inexpensive way to learn the craft.
After that hatch out your own straight runs and try to sustain yourself.

Ok, I stand corrected.

I just didn't think somebody getting meaties the first time, who said they only want about 10 or so to try it out, would want to try to get them caponized, by local experts that might not even exist, or jump right into chicken surgery on live, awake, birds, when they haven't even done processing yet, (or maybe they have processed, but not raised their own, that's possible) if they can't find a local expert, since they are hard to find these days.

A person who can't have roosters in their area may not be able to keep 100 birds at a time, either. But maybe he or she can. And it is a possibility.

To the OP, I re-read your post: Yes, there are Red Broilers and Black Broilers, Ideal has them, and I'm sure some others do too, that are not super high maintenance. You can pretty much treat them like the dual purpose birds, and they'll be fine. They'd do best with a high protein feed, and it wouldn't hurt your layers, if you have them at the same time. You could raise them together without a problem. The red and black broilers are slower than the super-fast Cornish-Rock X's, they take 9-12 weeks, I think. They aren't quite as meaty, but certainly meatier than the average DP roo, unless you do indeed, want to caponize a bunch of those.

ETA: Found it, here ya go. Check out these birds, this could be what you're looking for: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=286954

Photos
and everything.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was thinking along the same lines except suggesting Freedom Rangers. They are long gone before crowing as well, without all the attendant problems of the CX.

NOT neccessarily true in regard to crowing. I just had my Rangers processed (at 12 weeks) and they'd been crowing for several weeks already. They were doing little gurgly crows when I moved them out of the brooder box at 4 weeks ( though no neighbors would have heard it!). Full rooster crows, though at slightly lower volume, from about eight weeks. I must say, though, unless your neighbors are both VERY picky and have exceptionally good hearing, I doubt they'd complain. Especially ifyou slaughtered at 9 weeks, as I will do next time. At 12 weeks, my Rangers ran 4 1/2 to 7 pounds, which is bigger roaster than we really need. The biggest down side to Rangers is that you will like them so much you'll hate to slaughter them! Gorgeous birds.

Maybe it would help if I refine my needs. My nearest neighbor is maybe 40 yards away. After my grandmother heard of my interest she has offered to pay for 15 birds and the food for them so I am looking at maybe 25-30 birds. I like the idea of caponizing birds but I am far from that level yet and know of no one in my area that could help me. My goal is a bird of 5lbs dressed and to not have many die on me. And my hope was of making an 8ft by 8ft by 3ft tractor for them, I could fence in an area more along the lines of 10 by 10 but in my area my fears are raccoons and hawks and would not be able to cover the top. I would like to order them with my next batch of layers so from a larger hatchery would be ideal. I saw the red and black broilers at ideal and they did get my interest, but I have heard little about them and even less on how they compare to Cornish cross especially on the food conversion rate. I would love to go big and let them free range but my space is limited and I do not want to push my luck with neighbors, my area was rural but in the last 10 years it has become a suburban area with many many many yuppies. That's why I do not have a roster for my layers which I would really like to have. The idea of having the ability to breed my own birds for eggs and meat without the need of buying birds constantly, and being able to breed birds that best fit my needs is well my dream, but right now I cannot do it. I am big on growing my own food its always better and normally cheaper that and I like to know what I am eating.

My Freedom Ranger roosters start crowing about 1 week before I butcher. It isn't a "real" crow, but they are definitely trying.

Quote:
I was thinking along the same lines except suggesting Freedom Rangers. They are long gone before crowing as well, without all the attendant problems of the CX.

There are a couple of Dual Purpose breeds that used to be classed as Meat... until crosses like the Cornish and FR's came along and blew them out of the water... haven't raised any, not a clue about doing so, just throwing it out there.

On Henderson's Chart Brahmas, Jersey Giants, Langshan, & Orpingtons are all listed as Dual Purpose [formerly Meat].

*passes salt cellar*

Quote:
A couple of small, easily movable pens might be best for you, so you could over them. the birds will need shade, and a cover to keep out predators. Chicken wire has worked fine for us, to keep out predators, but I know in some areas, people have had critters tear right through it to get to the chickens. We've picked up used corrugated metal roofing cheap, and used that to cover runs and pens.

Do you just want eggs for your own use, or are you planning om selling extras? Eggs for how many people? You might not want to keep more than about 6 hens, depending on your egg needs.

You should be able to get a 5 lb bird from Cornish X's, easy, but they do take a bit more care than the others. I'd go with either the red broilers, or the freedom rangers. They get to a good size, too. You'd probably end up with dressed weights from 4 lbs to 5.5 lbs, depending on how long you keep them. FR's often get over 5 lbs. many have had them get up to around 7 lbs.

I already have hens for eggs, 17 laying, 10 that will be soon, then I will be removing the oldest 11. I am trying to not go over 20 layer I have just enough extra eggs to sell, which covers my food costs. I have thought about selling them at the road there are so many yupees in my area i could likey get $4 a dozen.

What would be the best sized pen for say max 30 birds?

Back
Top Bottom