Dual Purpose Birds (Chewy and Tough and Dark Dark Meat)?

Full Boil for at least 2 hours then turned it down a bit to a gentle boil for another hour. Basically until I could easily pull the meat from the bone effortlessly. (It may have been slightly frozen in the middle still when I put it in the water.

Yeah, a full boil will make the meat stringy. It'll be like the strands of a bungee-cord. I love the flavor of the DP breeds. Old birds get stewed, young birds get BBQ'd!

Look at it this way: if you enjoyed the flavor of these two birds, it will only get better from here on out, as you find what butchering and cooking methods work best for you.

In theory... If you instead give them a kosher death, as opposed to chopping their head off, you're supposed to end up with better meat. Kosher meaning; slit their throat. This is very humane and they'll just fall asleep. Keeping the signals from the brain to the heart intacted; the animal's heart will continue to pump. This will help the animal to bleed out more thoroughly...

I've also read that "older" birds should be aged about twice as long as you stated (3~5 days); and then cooked below 180degF to keep the meat fibers from toughening.

Have a cluckin' good day!
smile.png

Cinnimon queens are a red sex link. I believe they are a cross of a Rhode Island Red and something else I'm not sure what their other part is. I bought them at age two believing they were RIR but learned they were Cinnimon Queens off this site! Yes, I will hang them and slit their jugulars next time I butcher I wanted to do it that way but my family and my husbands family are old school so as such we did it their way and it wasn't cool it was hard on them. As far as boiling, I don't know, I don't mind the stringy meat kind of like it, but Of Course I will take that tip and try simmering them next time! I'm always looking to learn from others. So thank you to all of you I will keep this all in mind as I am a Complete Newbie as of just starting in June 2010!

After boiling the chicken for soup the meat becomes chewy kind of like rubber. After I make soup stock, everything gets tossed including any meat. Once you boil it or simmer it for that long you everything you need from the chicken in the actual broth. The rest is useless, all the flavor is now in the broth making the chicken meat tough, chewy, and flavorless.

After you make the stock then you put in your chicken meat along with your veggies.

1) strip the meat off of the bone to use after stock is made
2) add carcass, skin, feet, giblets, neck, celery, onions, garlic and seasoning if you want.
3) bring to a boil and then simmer overnight
4) strain the stock and then put the liquid back into a stock pot
5) add vegetables, chicken, and whatever other seasonings you need
6) add noodles

When the noodles are done.... eat up.

But never cook the chicken for more than a couple of hours and only for a simmer. If you boil it the chicken will be way overcooked.

There was a thread on here recently about how delicious an 8 month old rooster was, slow roasted. I believe it was roasted at 275 degrees for 3 hours. We ate one tonight, cooked over charcoal with a lid, the thermometer on the grill said it was 200 in there, it took over 3 hours to get it cooked but it was moist and tender. Has a bit more substance to the meat than store bought, but not tough, just not soft. And, yes, the meat is darker.

Just found this article recently, talking about cooking and eating old fashioned vs. modern chicken; lots of good info:

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/cookingwheritagechicken.pdf

Back
Top Bottom