Dubbing brahma rooster

Nov 12, 2018
Has anyone here ever dubbed a rooster with a pea comb? The man I'm considering doing this at home, the frostbite isn't bugging him but the cold is drying it out and cracking it. I'd honestly be ok doing this if he had a single comb but a little bit more nervous or being a pea comb. He's a big Brahma boy almost 2 yrs. Any tips? I'll probably do this to every plus rooster we have as they have the worst luck it seems. I've done 2 bumble foot surgeries at home on my own before. So I am not new to surgery at home. But have always been nervous doing a comb surgery I may do the battles shorter too but IDK.
Here's an attached photo of what he looks like too. When should I do this? Should I wait till spring? Or do it once his comb heals up more? His comb looks worse than this right now, this is from a little over a week ago. It's a bit raw from being scraped around while cleaning it. If you need more photos of what he looks like you can view them on my page on Instagram @brahma_wonders, I can't get too many other photos. Any tips will be helpful, idk if I'm just over my head and nervous. I have scalpels or should I buy sharp scissors any recommendations on scissors either?

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_131739_375.jpg
    IMG_20201205_131739_375.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 20
Has anyone here ever dubbed a rooster with a pea comb? The man I'm considering doing this at home, the frostbite isn't bugging him but the cold is drying it out and cracking it. I'd honestly be ok doing this if he had a single comb but a little bit more nervous or being a pea comb. He's a big Brahma boy almost 2 yrs. Any tips? I'll probably do this to every plus rooster we have as they have the worst luck it seems. I've done 2 bumble foot surgeries at home on my own before. So I am not new to surgery at home. But have always been nervous doing a comb surgery I may do the battles shorter too but IDK.
Here's an attached photo of what he looks like too. When should I do this? Should I wait till spring? Or do it once his comb heals up more? His comb looks worse than this right now, this is from a little over a week ago. It's a bit raw from being scraped around while cleaning it. If you need more photos of what he looks like you can view them on my page on Instagram @brahma_wonders, I can't get too many other photos. Any tips will be helpful, idk if I'm just over my head and nervous. I have scalpels or should I buy sharp scissors any recommendations on scissors either?
How bad is it now? I’d post a pic of it now to see if it really needs cut off. Most pea combs don’t end up too bad. That’s a thick pea comb and will bleed quite a bit. It’s better to do it when it’s cold out.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-S...ars-Amplify-Razor-Edge-Scissors---8"/p/136963

I would bet some hydrogel spray such as Vetericyn or Theracyn wound spray at a feed store, and use that on his comb. Coconut oil, vaseline, or mineral oil can be used as well. I prefer to not do anything invasive which can cause pain or infection. I had a peacombed rooster for years, and he did fine in winter. Wattles do get frostbitten from waterers, and you might use different ones to see which works best for you. I use an electric dog bowl for water inside, and the black rubber bowls outside which I empty in the evening, and reill each morning. The normal poultry waterers work best for keeping the wattles out of them, but have to be emptied and refilled often in freezing weather.

How bad is it now? I’d post a pic of it now to see if it needs cut off. Most pea combs don’t end up too bad. That’s a thick pea comb and will bleed quite a bit. It’s better to do it when it’s cold out.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Sewing-Quilting-Notions/Cutting-Tools-Mats/Fiskars-Amplify-Razor-Edge-Scissors---8"/p/136963
I'll get a new photo! but I don't want to pick him up again until this evening or when I put more oil on. His comb is yellow in spots and raw. I just don't want it ending up like his dad's rose comb which had flattened down within one winter from injuries and frostbite and stayed purple all summer.

I would bet some hydrogel spray such as Vetericyn or Theracyn wound spray at a feed store, and use that on his comb. Coconut oil, vaseline, or mineral oil can be used as well. I prefer to not do anything invasive which can cause pain or infection. I had a peacombed rooster for years, and he did fine in winter. Wattles do get frostbitten from waterers, and you might use different ones to see which works best for you. I use an electric dog bowl for water inside, and the black rubber bowls outside which I empty in the evening, and reill each morning. The normal poultry waterers work best for keeping the wattles out of them but have to be emptied and refilled often in freezing weather.
They don't perceive pain the same as we do, the most they would get is stressed and uncomfortable unless you forcefully caused pain. Which is probably how his dad survived after being attacked and got his head caught up in a fence. The bigger worry is infection unless it's cared for correctly. I'll try spraying my antibacterial more on, but it probably won't work well.

Back
Top Bottom