1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    I've read much stuff about dubbing and I know I have to do it for my old BO Kate Smith because my two young roosters decided that she was the most attractive in the flock and have ripped her comb almost all the way off. Threehorses gave me great advice and I know I have to do it but I am FREAKING OUT! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] any words of wisdom???

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't think of it as dubbing, or call it dubbing, in that situation. I would not dub a chicken -- that is something that is done to change the bird's natural appearance due to human preference.

You are not dubbing, you are providing good wound care!

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Well said, doing it to physicaly benifit the hen.

AL

4. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I've never even heard of dubbing - now I have to go research... [​IMG] [​IMG] OK - after quick research, I'd have to say the most useful advice I saw was to numb the area with ice water before you do it. Good luck, and sorry your girl has to go through this... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I HATE dubbing. My FIL has a rooster at my house and he dubbed him a couple of days ago. It was not pretty or nice. [​IMG] I had to hold the rooster while he did it.
    I personally love a nice comb and wattles on a rooster.

I have to agree with everyone else you are just taking care of you chicken. Good Luck!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Actually, I should have spoken more carefully. I still would not dub a bird but did not mean to flame those who do. Personal choice. Required in order to show certain chickens, game birds, I gather. Fortunately I'm not interested in showing, but again, personal preference.

Glad someone found the suggestion to use ice to numb.

OP, how did it go?

7. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    just got home from work and am going out to do it now. wish me luck! or wish Kate Smith luck! [​IMG] I'm scared!

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Whether you are dubbing for looks, medical purposes, show, etc.. It is still dubbing, dubbing is trimming off the comb, wattles, or earlobes (or all three). Purpose does not matter.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dubbed one of my oegb cockerels about 4 weeks ago. He didnt even seem to mind it. I wrapped him in a towel and kept his head out, and just snipped off the comb, earlobes, and wattles. The comb was healed within a week.

10. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    will the comb grow back?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by