Dubbing

Thanks FarmGirl!

Well I held him and my mom clipped him... with a pair of antique scissors.....
lol.png

still hesitant on doing the earlobes and wattles i'm so afraid that im going to do it wrong and kill him

That was my fear also. I just roll the earlobe around and kinda stand it up. Then snip it off is small cuts.

The wattles are another matter. If you pull down hard and cut you can open up the whole neck. Just pull down enough to see where it is connected to the neck and make small close cuts. If you open up the neck, don't worry it will heal. I've done it before and it looks so bad. But it will heal. Don't be afraid.

still hesitant on doing the earlobes and wattles i'm so afraid that im going to do it wrong and kill him

Okay I know this is going to sound incredibly weird or just wrong
hide.gif
But honestly what I did for practice without hurting birds is practicing on a few dead ones, immediately after killing. Not everyone culls their own stock I know, but, it taught me how much to pull the wattles without cutting the main neck skin, and how to do the earlobes, and even the comb decently fast without making mistakes, thus making the experience quicker for the bird. That way if I make mistakes, there's no-one to go through the pain and bleeding.
wink.png

hide.gif
But honestly what I did for practice without hurting birds is practicing on a few dead ones, immediately after killing. Not everyone culls their own stock I know, but, it taught me how much to pull the wattles without cutting the main neck skin, and how to do the earlobes, and even the comb decently fast without making mistakes, thus making the experience quicker for the bird. That way if I make mistakes, there's no-one to go through the pain and bleeding.
wink.png

Thats a good idea!! if only grouse had combs....
th.gif

i've done it many times... i have a video on youtube when i first started dubbing... it's called "gumbii the amazing cock dubber".. my friend uploaded it and named it... LOL... but now i use a slightly damp towel at 2-3am when it's the coldest... also so he can just knock out in a pen by himself right after... there are a ton of vids on youtube... also search for decresta... but those are a bit more brutal...

i use some 3M titanium ultra sharp scissors for everything... they're my dubbing pair...

HTH...

hide.gif
wink.png

That is an excellent way to practice. When I dub I cut the whole face off so that there are no wrinkles or pieces of ear lobe visible. I go in at the wattles and trim all around the face. I have done hundreds and never lost a bird.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom