D'uccle chicks, are they all roos??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MinnerBuckwheat, Apr 23, 2011.

1. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    Hi! I'm new to the forum, and just started embarking on my chicken rearing journey a couple of months ago [​IMG] I added some new chicks to the family earlier this week. I already had a dozen 2 month old chicks that will be layers, and 4 Cx's that are a month old, but I picked up 6 mille fleur d'uccle bantams (and 5 Amaraucanas, 1 Araucana, and a dozen more Cx) and I am afraid they are all roos! They were straight run, so I figured I would at least get a couple of hens, but they are all getting combs! I don't know how old they are, as they are from the bin at FFH. In fact, they knew nothing about what kind they were even! SO I am wondering, approximately how old these little ones are would you guess, and do they look like roos? I just took a pic of 2 of them, they all look identical, although only one is getting a little bit of pink on the top of the comb that isn't pictured. Thanks!

Ugh, it isn't letting me post pics because I am new! Hmmm, not sure how to get an opinion now, lol.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    email me the picture and I will post it

3. nivtup

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Or better yet, send me the image location

4. MinnerBuckwheat

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    Sent, thank you!

5. nivtup

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. nivtup

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    You are most welcome

7. nivtup

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    BTW, I have no clue on the gender of the birds.

Good luck with them.

8. MinnerBuckwheat

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    That's ok, thanks for posting them anyway! I just need to know if I should go back up there and see if I can pick out some hens so they will be the same age-ish. My mom ran up to FFH and picked them up for me and just had the guy pick 6 random ones so I didn't even get to pick them out. I don't have a use for 6 bantam roos and would be really bummed if thats what they all are!

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would guess boys, based on your photos.
    It's always easier when you have at least one of each for comparison's sake. Here's a link to my post about the sex of my d'uccles. They were about three weeks, and turned out accurate. So I'd guess yours are maybe two weeks??? I could barely see a comb on my female. By 4 weeks it was TOTALLY obvious, as his comb started turning pink. Now, at 6-7 weeks, the girl's comb is still barely noticeable, and is JUST starting to turn a light pink. Hope the link helps...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=469620

10. MinnerBuckwheat

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    I hope hope hope they are not all roos. I don't know what the point of having them would be with having no ladies for them (not that they wouldn't try with my standard hens, lol) and I want babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by