D'uccle chicks, are they all roos??

MinnerBuckwheat

Songster
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
West Michigan
Hi! I'm new to the forum, and just started embarking on my chicken rearing journey a couple of months ago
big_smile.png
I added some new chicks to the family earlier this week. I already had a dozen 2 month old chicks that will be layers, and 4 Cx's that are a month old, but I picked up 6 mille fleur d'uccle bantams (and 5 Amaraucanas, 1 Araucana, and a dozen more Cx) and I am afraid they are all roos! They were straight run, so I figured I would at least get a couple of hens, but they are all getting combs! I don't know how old they are, as they are from the bin at FFH. In fact, they knew nothing about what kind they were even! SO I am wondering, approximately how old these little ones are would you guess, and do they look like roos? I just took a pic of 2 of them, they all look identical, although only one is getting a little bit of pink on the top of the comb that isn't pictured. Thanks!

Ugh, it isn't letting me post pics because I am new! Hmmm, not sure how to get an opinion now, lol.

That's ok, thanks for posting them anyway! I just need to know if I should go back up there and see if I can pick out some hens so they will be the same age-ish. My mom ran up to FFH and picked them up for me and just had the guy pick 6 random ones so I didn't even get to pick them out. I don't have a use for 6 bantam roos and would be really bummed if thats what they all are!

I would guess boys, based on your photos.
It's always easier when you have at least one of each for comparison's sake. Here's a link to my post about the sex of my d'uccles. They were about three weeks, and turned out accurate. So I'd guess yours are maybe two weeks??? I could barely see a comb on my female. By 4 weeks it was TOTALLY obvious, as his comb started turning pink. Now, at 6-7 weeks, the girl's comb is still barely noticeable, and is JUST starting to turn a light pink. Hope the link helps...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=469620

I hope hope hope they are not all roos. I don't know what the point of having them would be with having no ladies for them (not that they wouldn't try with my standard hens, lol) and I want babies.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom